A simple analysis of the blokh-Zyablov decoding algorithm
Blokh-Zyablov  devised a decoding algorithm for concatenated codes, which is capable of maximum random error correction. The algorithm was further developed by Zinoviev-Zyablov , , who modified it so that it could also correct many bursts of errors, without sacrificing the random error correcting capability. Unfortunately hitherto available analyses of the algorithm are rather involved — a fact which might have prevented the algorithm from achieving the attention it deserves. We offer here a much simplified treatment, which we hope will help to popularize the algorithm. It should be pointed out that the basic ideas can be traced back to Forney ,  (generalized minimum distance decoding).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.L. Blokh and V.V. Zyablov, "Generalized concatenated codes", (in Russian), Svyaz', Moscow, 1976.Google Scholar
- V.A. Zinoviev and V.V. Zyablov, "Decoding of non-linear generalized concatenated codes", Probl. Peredachi Inf., Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 46–52, 1978.Google Scholar
- V.A. Zinoviev and V.V. Zyablov, "Correction of error bursts and independent errors by generalized concatenated codes", Probl. Peredachi Inf., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 58–70, 1979.Google Scholar
- G.D. Forney Jr., "Generalized minimum distane decoding", IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, IT-12, pp. 125–131, 1966.Google Scholar
- G.D. Forney Jr., "Concatenated codes", MIT Research Monograph No. 37, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass. 1966.Google Scholar
- R.E. Blahut, "Theory and practice of error control codes", Addison Wesley 1983.Google Scholar
- I. Hsu, I.S. Reed, T.K. Truong, K. Wang, C. Yeh, and L.J. Deutsch, "The VLSI-implementation of a Reed-Solomon encoder using Berlekamps bi-serial multiplier algorithm", IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol. C-33, No. 10, pp. 906–911, 1984.Google Scholar
- H.M. Shao, T.K. Truong, L.J. Deutsch, J.H. Yuen and I.S. Reed, "A VLSI design of a pipeline Reed-Solomon Decoder", IEEE Trans on Computers, Vol. C-34, No. 5, pp. 393–403, 1985.Google Scholar
- B.B. Zyablov and E.L. Blokh, "Linear concatenated codes", (in Russian), Moscow 1982.Google Scholar
- S.M. Reddy and J.P. Robinson, "Random error and burst correction by iterated codes", IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, IT-18, No. 1, pp. 182–185, 1972.Google Scholar
- E.J. Weldon, "Decoding binary block codes on Q-ary output channels", IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, IT-17, No. 6, pp. 713–718, 1971.Google Scholar
- J. Justesen, "A class of constructive asymptotically good algebraic codes", IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, IT-18, No. 5, pp. 652–656, 1972.Google Scholar
- J.H. van Lint, "Error correction for concatenated codes", Nat. Lab. Report 1987 (unpublished).Google Scholar