Communication-free hyperplane partitioning of nested loops
This paper addresses the problem of partitioning the iterations of nested loops, and data arrays accessed by the loops. Hyperplane partitions of disjoint subsets of data arrays and loop iterations that result in the elimination of communication are sought. A characterization of necessary and sufficient conditions for communicationfree hyperplane partitioning is provided.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Callahan and K. Kennedy. Compiling programs for distributed-memory multiprocessors. The Journal of Supercomputing, 2:151–169, Oct. 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Chen, Y. Choo, and J. Li. Compiling parallel programs by optimizing performance. The Journal of Supercomputing, 2:171–207, Oct. 1988.Google Scholar
- H. M. Gerndt. Array distribution in SUPERB. In Proceedings 1989 ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, pages 164–174, Athens, Greece, June 1989.Google Scholar
- M. Gupta and P. Banerjee. Automatic data partitioning on distributed memory multiprocessors. Technical Report UILU-ENG-90-2248, Coordinated Science Laboratory, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Oct. 1990.Google Scholar
- C.-H. Huang and P. Sadayappan. Communication-free hyperplane partitioning of nested loops. Technical Report OSU-CISRC-7/91-TR18, Dept. of Comp/Info Sci., Ohio State Univ., July 1991.Google Scholar
- K. Knobe, J. D. Lukas, and G. L. Steele Jr. Data optimization: Allocation of arrays to reduce communication on SIMD machines. J. Par. Dist. Comp., 8(2):102–118, Feb. 1990.Google Scholar
- C. Koelbel, P. Mehrotra, and J. van Rosendale. Supporting shared data structures on distributed memory machines. In Proc. Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming, pages 177–186, 1990.Google Scholar
- J. Li and M. Chen. Index domain alignment: Minimizing cost of cross-referencing between distributed arrays. Technical Report YALEU/DCS/TR-275, Dept. of Comp. Sc., Yale Univ, 1989.Google Scholar
- J. Ramanujam. Compile-time Techniques for Parallel Execution of Loops on Distributed Memory Multiprocessors. PhD thesis, Dept. of Comp/Info. Sc., Ohio State Univ., 1990.Google Scholar
- J. Ramanujam and P. Sadayappan. Compile-time techniques for data distribution for distributedmemory machines. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 1991. To appear.Google Scholar
- A. Rogers and K. Pingali. Process decomposition through locality of reference. In Proc. ACM SIGPLAN 89 Conf. Programming Language Design and Implementation, pages 69–80, 1989.Google Scholar