On the semantics of multistage interconnection networks
Multistage interconnection networks (MINs) have a number of applications in many areas, for example in communication networks or parallel computer systems. While several performance analyses have been done, as far as we know a formal description of the behaviour of such networks is lacking. In the paper we define Markov chains describing the behaviour of the buffered M1N with a butterfly interconnection structure and 2×2 switching elements. We study several models of packet flow, which appear in the literature and develop technical mathematical tools which allow us to compare them. We prove some equivalence results regarding the models.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.F. Goke, G.J. Lipovski, Banyan Network for Partitioning Multiprocessor Systems, Proc. 1st Ann. Symp. on Computer Architecture, 1973, pp. 21–28Google Scholar
- 2.C.A.R. Hoare, ”Communicating Sequential Processes,” Prentice-Hall, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.R.R. Koch, Increasing the Size of a Network by a Constant Factor Can Increase Performance by More Than a Constant Factor, Proc. 28th Ann. Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (1988), 221–231.Google Scholar
- 4.T.F. Leighton, ”Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays, Trees, Hypercubes,” Morgan Kaufmann, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Mun, H. Yong, Performance Analysis of Finite Buffered Multistage Interconnection Networks, IEEE Trans. on Computers, vol. C-43, 1994, pp. 152–162Google Scholar
- 6.R. Rehrmann, B. Monien, R. Lüling, R. Diekmann, On the Communication Throughput of Buffered Multistage Interconnection Networks, Proc. 8th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Rooholaminiight, Finding the Right ATM Switch for the Market, IEEE J. Comp., 1994, pp. 16–28Google Scholar
- 8.T.H. Theimer, E.P. Rathgeb, M.N. Huber, Performance Analysis of Buffered Banyan Networks IEEE Trans. on Communication, vol. C-39, 1991, pp. 269–277Google Scholar
- 9.H.Y. Yoon, K.Y. Lee, M.T. Liu, Performance Analysis of Multibuffered Packet-switching Networks in Multiprocessor Systems, IEEE Trans. on Computers, vol. C-39, 1990, pp. 319–327Google Scholar