Multimedia multicast routing
This paper proposes an algorithm for constructing a multicast route for high bandwidth, delay-sensitive applications in a wide area point-to-point network. Each edge of the network is associated with a cost, delay and capacity. The receivers of the multicast may have different individual requirements in a heterogeneous environment. Hence it is advantageous to take into consideration the bandwidth requirements of individual receivers while constructing the multicast tree. High capacity edges should be selected while multicasting so that the network does not get partitioned into disjoint subgraphs and can satisfy future requirements for additional bandwidth. Known algorithms for multicast tree construction do not exploit the heterogeneous bandwidth requirements while constructing the multicast tree. The proposed algorithm modifies edge costs considering the requirements of the destinations, in a heterogeneous environment. It also selects high capacity edges while multicasting. Simulation studies of the algorithm on three standard networks show that there is a considerable saving in bandwidth being consumed.
Index termsMulticast routing Multimedia conferencing Heterogeneous receivers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V.P.Kompella, J.C.Pasquale and G.C.Polyzos, “Multicasting for Multimedia Applications∝ Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 2078–2085,1992.Google Scholar
- Nachum Shacham, “Multipoint Communication By Hierarchically Encoded Data∝ Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 2107–2114,1992.Google Scholar
- Ballardie.A., Francis.P. and Crowcroft.j, “Core Based Trees— An architecture for scalable inter-domain multicast routing ∝ ACM Sigcomm 93, pp. 85–95.Google Scholar
- D.J.Mitzel, D.Estrin, S.Shenker, L.Zhang, “An Architectural Comparison Of ST-II and RSVP∝ Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, 1994.Google Scholar
- Nen-Fu Huang, Chiung-Shien Wu and Yi-Jang Wu, “Some Routing Problems on Broadband ISDN∝ Computer Networks And ISDN Systems, 27,1994, pp. 101–116.Google Scholar
- Radhika.R.Roy, “Networking Constraints in Multimedia conferencing and the role of ATM networks∝ AT&T technical journal, July/August 1994.Google Scholar
- V.P.Kompella, J.C.Pasquale and G.C.Polyzos, “The Multimedia Multicasting problem∝, Technical Report 92093-0114, University of California, San Diego, CA, 1993.Google Scholar
- V.P.Kompella, J.C.Pasquale and G.C.Polyzos, “The Multimedia Multicast Channel∝ Proc. of Third international workshop on network and Operating system support for digital audio and video, 1992.Google Scholar
- Rajesh Kumar. L., “MMTP — A Protocol for Multimedia over Wide Area Networks∝, M.S. Thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, December 1996.Google Scholar
- John Moy, “Multicast Routing Extensions for OSPF,∝ Communications of the ACM, vol. 37, no. 8, August 1994.Google Scholar
- E. Crawley, “Multicast Routing Over ATM,∝ Internet Draft, draft-crawley-mcastrout-over-atm-00.txt, February 1996.Google Scholar
- Hans Eriksson, “MBONE: The Multicast Backbone,∝ Communications of the ACM, vol. 37, no. 8, August 1994.Google Scholar