Dynamic multiplexing for digital TV broadcasting
An efficient algorithm for dynamically multiplexing MPEG2 encoded video sources is presented. Sources are grouped into classes regarding different combined levels of spatial detail and amount of movement. Simulations were performed using different associations of sources belonging to distinct classes, different bit rates and GOP structures. The implications associated to a real implementation are analysed and a modular architecture is proposed. Simulation results are presented and discussed, showing that sequences with higher spatial detail and motion are those which exhibit the higher quality improvements.
KeywordsMPEG2 dynamic multiplexing source characterisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ISO/IEC IS 11172, “Information Technology — Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio for Digital Storage Media at up to about 1,5 Mbit/s-video∝, Geneva, 1993.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC IS 13818, “Information Technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio∝, Nov. 1994.Google Scholar
- W. Verbiest, L. Pinnoo, and B. Voeten, “The impact of the ATM concept on video coding,∝ The IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Comm., vol. 6, pp. 1623, Dec. 1988.Google Scholar
- Toshio Koga, Yukishiko Iijima, Kazumoto Iinuma, Tatsuo Ishiguro,∝Statistical performance analysis of an interframe encoder for broadcast television signals∝, IEEE Trans. On Comm., vol. 29, nℴ 12, pp 1868–1875, Dec. 1981.Google Scholar
- Willem Verbiest, Luc Pinnoo, “A variable bit rate video codec for ATM networks∝, IEEE Journ. On Sel. Areas in Comm., vol. 7, pp 761–770, June 1989.Google Scholar
- Luís Teixeira, Teresa Andrade, “Exploiting Characteristics of a large number of MPEG video sources for statistically multiplexing video for TV broadcast applications∝, 4 Bayona Workshop on Intelligent Methods in Signal Processing and Comm., Bayona, pp. 65–69, June 24–26, 1996.Google Scholar
- Luís Teixeira, Teresa Andrade, “Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for a MPEG2 Multi-Encoder Video System∝, Symposium on Advanced Imaging and Network Technologies, Berlin, pp. 555–566, Oct. 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Geist, et al, “PVM 3.0 users guide and reference model∝, Technical Report ORNL/TM-12187, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1993.Google Scholar
- M. Perkins, D. Arnstein, “Statistical Multiplexing of MPEG-2 Video Channels∝, 136th Technical Conference and World Media Expo, Oct. 12–15, 1994.Google Scholar