Toward an ideal data placement scheme for high performance object-oriented database systems
Performance in parallel database systems very much depends on how data is placed on a network of processing elements. In designing a data placement method, particularly for high performance parallel object-oriented databases, two major factors that most of the time contradict each other, particularly minimizing communication cost and maintaining load balance, must be taken in account. Our experiments' results show that it is not feasible to trade I/O balancing with low communication costs, although these two factors are critical. Therefore, an ideal data placement method must feature a reasonable I/O balancing combined with low communication whenever possible, not the other way round.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell,D. “Difficult Data Placement Problems”, Computer Journal,vol 27,no 4,pp.315–320,1984.Google Scholar
- Bertino, E., et. al., “Clustering Techniques in Object Bases: A Survey”, Data & Knowledge Engineering 12, pp. 255–275, 1994.Google Scholar
- Cheng, J-b.R., and Hurson, A.R., “Effective Clustering of Complex Objects in Object-Oriented Databases”, Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, pp-99–108, 1991.Google Scholar
- DeWitt, D., and Gray, J., “Parallel Database Systems: The Future of High Performance Database Systems”, Communication of the ACM, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 85–98, 1992.Google Scholar
- Ghanderahizadeh, S., and DeWitt, D., “Hybrid-Range Partitioning Strategy: a New Declustering Strategy for Multiprocessor Database Machines”, Proceedings of the 16th VLDB Conference, Brisbane, pp. 481–492, 1990.Google Scholar
- Ghanderahizadeh, S., and DeWitt, D., “MAGIC: A Multiattribute Declustering Mechanism for Multiprocessor Database Machines”, IEEE TPDS, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 509–524, 1994.Google Scholar
- Leung, C.H.C. and Taniar, D. “Parallel Query Processing in Object-Oriented Database Systems”, Australian Computer Science Communications,vol 17,no 2, pp. 119–131, 1995.Google Scholar
- Patterson, D.A., and Hennessy, J.L., Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface, Morgan Kaufmann, 1994.Google Scholar
- Taniar, D., “Parallelization Models for Path Expression Queries in Object-Oriented Databases”, Proceedings of Joint Conference on Information Sciences, Volume 3: Rough Set and Computer Science, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, pp. 215–218, 1997.Google Scholar
- Taniar, D., Liu, K.H., and Leung, C.H.C., “Factors Affecting Performance Speed-up of Parallel Object-Oriented Systems”, Proceedings of the 4th Australasian Conference on Parallel and Real-Time Systems PART '97, Springer-Verlag, pp. 27–38, 1997.Google Scholar