Parallel implementation of a Lattice Boltzmann algorithm for the electrostatic plasma turbulence
A parallel version of a Lattice Boltzmann Equation algorithm, which simulates the electrostatic plasma turbulence, has been developed using the High Performance Fortran language. The algorithm evolves a system of particle populations on a discrete lattice and data-parallel implementation has been performed by a regular domain decomposition. System evolution requires both completely local and non-local operations, involving communication between processors. Communication phase has been minimized using local HPF procedures. Efficiency tests of the parallel code, performed on a 9076 IBM-SP2 parallel computer, have given satisfactory results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Fogaccia, R. Benzi and F. Romanelli, Phys. Rev. E 54, 4384 (1996).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Fogaccia, R. Benzi and F. Romanelli, in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, edited by Springer Verlag, Brussels 1996, p. 276.Google Scholar
- 3.S. I. Braginskii, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, edited by M.A. Leontovich (Consultants Bureau, New York, 1985), 1, 285.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Ottaviani, F. Romanelli, R. Benzi, M. Briscolini. P. Santangelo and S. Succi, Phys. Fluids B 2, 67 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Benzi, S. Succi and M. Vergassola, Phys. Rep. 222, 145 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Chapman and T.G. Cowling, Mathematical Theory of Nonuniform Gases, Cambridge University Press, (1953).Google Scholar
- 7.U. Frisch, D. d'Humières, B. Hasslacher, P. Lallemand, Y. Pomeau and J. P. Rivet, Complex Systems 1, 649 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Higuera, S. Succi and R. Benzi, Europhys. Lett. 9, 345 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Tsai, F.W. Perkins and T.H. Stix, Phys. Fluids 13, 2108 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.R. G. Babb II, R. H. Perrot, “An Introduction to High Performance Fortran”, Scientific Programming 4, 87 (1995).Google Scholar
- 11.High Performance Fortran Forum, “High Performance Fortran Language Specification”, Version 1.1 (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.A. K. Ewing, H. Richardson, A. D. Simpson, R. Kulkarni, “Writing data Parallel Programs with High Performance Fortran”, Student Notes Version 1.3.1, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre.Google Scholar
- 13.ISO. Fortran 90, May 1991, [ISO/IEC 1539: 1991 (E) and ANSI X3.198-1992].Google Scholar