Program extraction from normalization proofs
From a constructive proof of strong normalization plus uniqueness of the long beta-normal form for the simply typed lambda-calculus a normalization program is extracted using Kreisel's modified realizability interpretation for intuitionistic logic. The proof — which uses Tait's computability predicates — is not completely formalized: Induction is done on the meta level, and therefore not a single program but a family of program, one for each term is obtained. Nevertheless this may be used to write a short and efficient normalization program in a type free programming functional programming language (e.g. LISP) which has the interesting feature that it first evaluates a term r of type π to a functional ¦r¦ of type p and then collapses ¦r¦ to the normal form of r.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BS91]U. Berger, H. Schwichtenberg, An Inverse of the Evaluation Functional for Typed λ-calculus, Proceedings of the Sixth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, Amsterdam, (1991) 203–211.Google Scholar
- [Co92]C. Coquand, A proof of normalization for simply typed lambda calculus written in ALF, Proceedings of the 1992 Workshop on Types for Proofs and Programs, Båstad, Sweden (1992) 80–87.Google Scholar
- [HA87]S. Hayashi, PX: a system extracting programs from proofs, Kyoto University, Japan (1987).Google Scholar
- [GS92]V. Gaspes, J. S. Smith, Machine Checked Normalization Proofs for Typed Combinator Calculi, Proceedings of the 1992 Workshop on Types for Proofs and Programs, Båstad, Sweden (1992) 168–192.Google Scholar
- [KR59]G. Kreisel, Interpretation of analysis by means of functionals of finite type, in Constructivity in Mathematics (1959) 101–128.Google Scholar
- [PW92]C. Paulin-Mohring, B. Werner, Synthesis of ML programs in the system Coq, Submitted to the Journal of Symbolic Computations (1992).Google Scholar
- [SCH90]H. Schwichtenberg, Proofs as Programs, Leeds: Proof Theory '90 (P. Aczel, H. Simmons, Editors 1990).Google Scholar
- [TA67]W. W. Tait, Intensional Interpretation of Functionals of Finite Type I, Journal of Symbolic Logic 32(2) (1967) 198–212.Google Scholar
- [TR73]A. S. Troelstra, Metamathematical Investigation of Intuitionistic Arithmetic and Analysis, SLNM 344 (1973).Google Scholar