An intelligent terminal for implementing relevance feedback on large operational retrieval systems
Research has shown that document retrieval based on weighting functions and incorporating relevance feedback may be more effective than retrieval based on Boolean combinations. These novel methods have not been adopted by the large operational systems. In this paper, a software implementation of an ‘intelligent terminal’ is described. It overcomes many of the objections to non-Boolean retrieval. It is linked to an operational database via EURONET, and includes such features as the weighting of search terms, the construction and submission of search statements in the Common Command Language of EURONET, and the use of relevance feedback information to improve retrieval.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cleverdon, C.W., Mills, J., and Keen, M. "Factors determining the performance of indexing systems". 2 vols. College of Aeronautics, Cranfield. 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.Dillon, M., Desper, J. "The Use of automatic relevance feedback in Boolean retrieval systems". Journal of Documentation, Vol. 36, 1980, pp. 197–208.Google Scholar
- 3.Goldsmith, G. and Williams, P. W. "The use of microcomputers to assist online searching". Proceedings of the Third Research Colloquium, British Computer Society Specialist Group, Birmingham. March 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Harper, D.J. "Relevance feedback in document retrieval systems: an evaluation of probabilistic strategies". Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cambridge, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Jamieson, S.H. "The economic implementation of experimental retrieval techniques on a very large scale using an intelligent terminal". ACM SIGIR Forum, Vol. 16(2), 1979, pp. 45–51.Google Scholar
- 6.Jamieson, S.H. "Automated document retrieval based on distributed processing". Ph.D. Thesis, University of Aston in Birmingham, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Paralog AB 3RIP — System manual. Stockholm, 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.Robertson, S.E. and Sparck Jones, K. "Relevance weighting of search terms". JASIS, Vol. 27, 1977, pp. 126–148.Google Scholar
- 9.Salton, G. "Dynamic document processing". CACM, Vol. 15, 1972, pp. 658–668.Google Scholar
- 10.Sparck Jones, K. "Index Term Weighting". Information Storage and Retrieval, Vol. 9, 1973, pp. 619–633.Google Scholar
- 11.Williams, J.H. "Functions of a man-machine interactive information retrieval system", JASIS, Vol. 22, 1971, pp. 311–317.Google Scholar