A replication schema to support weak connectivity in mobile information systems
We present a replication schema, appropriate for distributed environments where connectivity is weak, partial or variant such as in mobile information systems. The schema is based on augmenting the database interface with operations with weaker consistency guarantees. An implementation of the schema based on distinguishing copies into quasi and core is presented and protocols for enforcing it are introduced. Then, practical examples of its applicability are described. The performance of the weak consistency schema is evaluated for various networking conditions by using an analytical model developed for this purpose.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. A. Bernstein, V. Hadjilacos, and N. Goodman. Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems. Addisson-Wesley, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Tait C and D. Duchamp. Service Interface and Replica Management Algorithm for Mobile File System Clients. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Information Systems, pp. 190–197, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.G. H. Forman and J. Zahorjan. The Challenges of Mobile Computing. IEEE Computer, 27(6), 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Imielinksi and B. R. Badrinath. Wireless Mobile Computing: Challenges in Data Management. Communications of the ACM, 37(10), 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.Q. Lu and M. Satyanarayanan. Improving Data Consistency in Mobile Computing Using Isolation-Only Transactions. In Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.B. D. Noble, M. Price, and M. Satyanarayanan. A Programming Interface for Application-Aware Adaptation in Mobile Computing. In Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX Symposium on Mobile and Location-Independent Computing, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Pitoura. Transaction Management in Mobile Heterogeneous Environments. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University, August 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.E. Pitoura and B. Bhargava. Building Information Systems for Mobile Environments. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 371–378, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.E. Pitoura and B. Bhargava. Maintaining Consistency of Data in Mobile Distributed Environments. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 404–413, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Terry, A. Demers, K. Petersen, M. Spreitzer, M. Theimer, and B. Welch. Session Guarantees for Weakly Consistent Replicated Data. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Information Systems, pp. 140–149, 1994.Google Scholar