Signatures of complex objects for query processing in OODB
In this paper, we propose an s-signature scheme, which is an efficient access method to nested objects for query processing, especially, when the path dictionary is used. We also compare the s-signature scheme with other indexing techniques such as path index, path signature, and path dictionary. Finally, we present that the proposed method shows significant improvements in the diverse retrieval operations, while requiring lower storage overhead than the path index.
KeywordsQuery Processing Signature Scheme Cost Model Target Class Indexing Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kemper, A. and Moerkotte, G.: Advanced query processing in object bases using access support relations. Proc. of the 16th VLDB, Brisbane, Australia, (1990) 290–301Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, W., Kim, K.C., Dale, A.: Indexing techniques for object-oriented databases, in Object-Oriented, Concepts, Databases, and Applications, W. Kim and F.H. Lochovsky, eds., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, (1989) 371–394.Google Scholar
- 4.Bertino, E. and Guglielmina, C.: Path index: An approach to the efficient execution of object-oriented queries, Data and Knowledge Engineering, North Holland, 10 (1993) 1–27Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, W.C. and Lee, D.L.: Signature File Methods for Indexing Object-Oriented Database Systems, In:Proc. of the 2nd International Computer Science Conf., Hong Kong, Dec. (1992) 616–622Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, D.L. and Lee, W.C.: Using Path Information for Query Processing in Object-Oriented Database Systems, Third International Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management, Gaitherburg, MD, (1994) 64–71Google Scholar
- 7.Faloutsos, C. and Chan, R.: Fast Text Access Methods for Optical and Large Magnetic Disks: Designs and Performance Comparison, Proc. 14th International Conf. on VLDB, Long Beach, Calif, (1988) 280–293Google Scholar
- 8.Faloutsos, C.: Signature Files, in Information Retrieval: data structure and algorithms, W.B. Frakes, R. Baeza-Yates, eds., PTR Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, (1992) 44–65.Google Scholar
- 9.Rabitti, F. and Zezula, P.: A Dynamic Signature Technique for Multimedia Databases, Proc. of ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, (1990) 193–210Google Scholar