Extraction of background distributions from abnormal data sets: Application to radiolabelled leucocyte imaging
A new technique for the generation of images of the background distribution of tracer from a data set of abnormal images is described. The use of such an image in the analysis of images of labelled leucocytes in patients with Crohn's disease is outlined. Construction of the background image involves image registration, a weighted averaging technique to eliminate abnormal features in the mean image and an image normalisation technique based on mode rather than mean values. Clinical results show that the overall technique is capable of providing an index of disease activity.
KeywordsHMPAO Image registration background subtraction Crohn's disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barber DC (1976). Digital computer processing of brain scans using Principal Components. Phys. Med. Biol. 21:792–803.Google Scholar
- Barber DC and Sherriff SB (1978). Computer analysis of liver scans. In: Biosigma 78 Proc. of. Conf. Signals and Images in Medicine and Biology II, INSERM, Paris, pp1–5.Google Scholar
- Elliott PR, Lennard-Jones JE, Bartram CI, Swarbrick ET, Williams CB, Dawson AM, Thomas BM and Morson BC (1982). Colonoscopic diagnosis of minimal change colitis in patients with a normal sigmoidoscopy and normal air-contrast barium enema. Lancet 1:650–652.Google Scholar
- Gomes P, Du Boulay C, Smith CL and Holdstock G (1986). Relationship between disease activity indices and colonoscopic findings in patients with colonic inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 27:92–95.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez RC and Wintz P (1987). Digital Image Processing. Addison Wesley, Reading, Mass, pp146–52.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez RC and Wintz P (1987). Digital Image Processing. Addison Wesley, Reading, Mass, pp247–51.Google Scholar
- Horn BKP and Schunck BG (1981). Determining optic flow. Artificial Intell. 17:185–203.Google Scholar
- Peters AM, Danpure HJ, Osman S, Hawker RJ, Henderson BL, Hodgson HJ, Kelly JD, Neirinckx RD and Lavender JP (1986). Clinical experience with Tc-99m hexamethyl propylene amine oxime for labelling leucocytes and imaging inflammation. Lancet 2:946–949.Google Scholar
- Saverymuttu S H, Peters A M, Hodgson H J, Cadwick V S and Lavender JP (1982). Indium-111 autologous leucocyte scanning: comparison with radiology for imaging the colon in inflammatory bowel disease. Br. J. Med. 285:255–257.Google Scholar
- Saverymuttu SH, Camilleri M, Rees H, Lavender JP, Hodgson HJF and Chadwick VS (1986). Indium-111 granulocyte scanning in the assessment of disease extent and disease activity in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterol. 90:1121–1128.Google Scholar