Implementing reactive programs on circuits a hardware implementation of LUSTRE
Synchronous languages constitute effective tools for programming real-time systems as far as they can be efficiently implemented. Implementing them by hardware is of course a good way for increasing their performances. Moreover, configurable hardware is now available which makes practical such an implementation. This paper describes an implementation of the synchronous declarative language Lustre on a “programmable active memory”.
KeywordsReactive systems synchronous languages silicon compilation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BC85]M. C. Browne and E. M. Clarke. SML-a high-level language for the design and verification of finite state machines. Research Report CMU-CS-85-179, Carnegie Mellon University, 1985.Google Scholar
- [BCG87]G. Berry, P. Couronné, and G. Gonthier. Synchronous programming of reactive systems, an introduction to Esterel. Technical Report 647, INRIA, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Ber9l]G. Berry. A hardware implementation of pure Esterel. In ACM Workshop on Formal Methods in VLSI Design, January 1991.Google Scholar
- [BG85]G. Berry and G. Gonthier. The synchronous programming language Esterel, design, semantics, implementation. Technical Report 327, INRIA, 1985. to appear in Science of Computer Programming.Google Scholar
- [BRV89]P. Bertin, D. Roncin, and J. Vuillemin. Introduction to programmable active memories. Technical Report, Digital Paris Research Laboratory, June 1989.Google Scholar
- [CPHP87]P. Caspi, D. Pilaud, N. Halbwachs, and J. Plaice. Lustre: a declarative language for programming synchronous systems. In 14th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, January 1987.Google Scholar
- [Har84]D. Harel. Statecharts: a visual approach to complex systems. In Advanced NATO Institute on Logics and Models for Verification and Specification of Concurrent Systems, 1984.Google Scholar
- [HRR91]N. Halbwachs, P. Raymond, and C. Ratel. Generating efficient code from data-flow programs. In Third International Symposium on Programming Language Implementation and Logic Programming, Passau, august 1991.Google Scholar
- [Roc89]F. Rocheteau. Programmation d'un circuit massivement parallèle à l'aide d'un langage déclaratif synchrone. Technical Report SPECTRE L10, IMAG, Grenoble, june 1989.Google Scholar
- [Xil88]Xilinx, Inc. The programmable gate array data book. 1988. Product Specification.Google Scholar