Optimal wait-free clock synchronization protocol on a shared-memory multi-processor system
We consider wait-free clock synchronization protocols on an in-phase shared-memory multi-processor system. A wait-free clock synchronization protocol guarantees that, for a fixed k, local clocks of processors which have been working consecutively for at least k pulses are synchronized. Such k is called synchronization time. The best previous result with regard to the synchronization time is O(n2), where n is the number of processors. In this paper, we present a wait-free synchronization protocol with synchronization time O(n), and also show that this synchronization time is asymptotically optimal.
Keywordsclock-synchronization shared-memory multi-processor system wait-freedom fault-tolerance napping fault
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S. Mahaney and F. Schneider: “Inexact agreement: Accuracy, precision and graceful degradation”, Proceedings of the 4th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 237–249 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Halpern, B. Simons, R. Strong and D. Dolev: “Fault-tolerant clock synchronization”, Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 89–102 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Dolev and J.L.Welch: “Self-stabilizing clock synchronization in the presence of byzantine faults”, Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Self-Stabilizing Systems, pp. 9.1–9.12 (1995).Google Scholar
- 10.A. S. Gopal and K. J. Perry: “Unifying self-stabilization and fault-tolerance”, Proceeding of the 12th ACM Symposium on Principles on Distributed Computing, pp. 195–206 (1993).Google Scholar
- 11.S. Dolev: “Possible and impossible self-stabilizing digital clock synchronization in general graphs”, Technical Report TR 96-06, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. Ben-Gurion University (1996).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Dolev and J. Welch: “Wait-free clock synchronization”, Proceedings of the 12th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 97–108 (1993).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Papatriantafilou and P. Tsigas: “On self-stabilizing wait-free clock synchronization”, Proceedings of the 4th Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory (LNCS 824), pp. 267–277 (1994).Google Scholar