Augmented reality applications to structural monitoring
Support for complex monitoring tasks can be provided through the application of Augmented Reality(AR) techniques. This is done through on-site applications as well as subsequent image enhancement, which are used to visualise structural monitoring systems and measured structural behaviour. This paper discusses appropriate applications that have much potential for improving the performance of maintenance engineers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Paolo Salvaneschi, Mauro Cadei, and Maroc Lazzari.: “Applying AI to Structural Safety Monitoring and Evaluation”,AI in Civil and Structural Engineering IEEE Expert, Intelligent Systems and their Applications (1996) 24–34Google Scholar
- 2.S.Vurpillot, D. Inaudi, and A. Scano.: “Mathematical model for the determination of the vertical displacement from internal horizontal measurements of a bridge” Smart Structures and Materials SPIE Vol. 2719–05 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Ronald T. Azuma.: “ A Survey of Augmented Reality” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments 6,4 August (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Anthony Webster, Steven Feiner, Blair MacIntyre, William Massie, and Theodore Krueger.:“ Augmented reality in architectural construction, inspection and renovation” Proc. ASCE Third Congress on Computing in Civil Engineering 913–919Google Scholar
- 5.Gudrun Klinker.: “Augmented Reality” http://www.ecrc.de/staff/Gudrun/ar/ar.html (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Steve Mann.: “Wearable Computing: A First Step towards Personal Imaging” IEEE Computer (1997) 25–31Google Scholar
- 7.Steven Feiner, Blair MacIntyre, and Dore Seligmann.: “Knowledge Based Augmented Reality” Communications of the ACM 36, 7 53–62Google Scholar
- 8.R.A.P. Sweeney, G. Oommen, and L. Hoat.: “Impact of Site Measurements on the Evaluation of Steel Railway Bridges” IABSE Workshop (1997) 139–147Google Scholar
- 9.Andrei State, Gentaro Hirota, David T. Chen, William F. Garrett, and Mark A. Livingston.: “Superior Augmented Reality Registration by Integrating Landmark Tracking and Magnetic Tracking” COMPUTER GRAPHICS Proceedings, Annual Conference Series (1996) 429–438Google Scholar
- 10.Ronald Azuma.: “ Improving Static and Dynamic Registration in a See-Through HMD” Proceedings of SIGGRAPH'94, Computer Graphics Annual Conference Series (1994) 197–204Google Scholar
- 11.Streilin95 and U Hirschberg.: “Integration of digital Photogrammetry and CAAD: Constraint-based Modelling and Semi-automatic Measurement” CAAD Futures'95 International Conference (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Daniele Inaudi.: “PhD Thesis Fiber Optic Sensor Network for the Monitoring of Civil Engineering Structures” (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.S.S Chen and C.M.Ballard.: “Retrofit Design Verification Via In-Service Monitoring over the Internet: A Case Study” Information Processing in Civil and Structural Engineering Design (1996) 183–187Google Scholar