Integrating virtual reality and telepresence to remotely monitor construction sites: A ViRTUE project
The paper presents VIRTUE, a funded research project, which aims to integrate the Virtual Reality (VR), Telepresence (TP) and mobile video telecommunications technologies. A mobile, real-time, 3D-hybrid VR/TP system is being built at Strathclyde University, Glasgow. A system prototype has been completed and is being tested. The system will permit the user to integrate telepresence images with computer generated virtual environments superimposed over the remote real worldview. This integrated system incorporates emerging mobile telecommunications technologies to give rapid and easy access to the real and virtual construction sites from arbitrary locations. This system allows remote surveillance of the construction site, and integration of real world images of the site with virtual reality representations, derived from planning models, for progress monitoring.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mair, G.M., Fryer, R., Heng, J., Clark, N., Sheat, D.: Long Range Telepresence Using ISDN,'Mechatronics'96 Conference, Portugal (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Retik, A.: VR System Prototype for Visual Simulation of the Construction Process, EPSRC Conference, Salford (1995) 90–93Google Scholar
- 3.Retik, A., Clark, N., Fryer, R., Hardiman, R., Mair, G., McGregor, D., Retik, N., Revie, K.: Mobile Hybrid Virtual Reality and Telepresence for Planning and Monitoring Engineering Projects, Proc. 4th UK VRSIG Conference, London (1997) 80–89Google Scholar
- 4.Lambert, R. B., Fryer, R. J., Cockshott, W. P., McGregor, D. R.: Low Bandwidth Video Compression with Variable Dimension Vector Quantisation, Proc. ADViCE'96, Cambridge, UK (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Retik, A.: Geometric-Based Reasoning System for Project Planning, Discussion Paper, ASCE J. Computing in Civil Eng-g, Oct (1995) 293–294Google Scholar
- 6.Azuma, R.T.: A Survey of Augmented Reality, Presence, Vol6, No4 (1997) 355–380Google Scholar
- 7.Milgram, P., Rastogi, A., Grodski, J.: Telerobotic Control Using Augmented Reality. IEEE Intern Workshop on Robot and Human Communication (1995) 211–29Google Scholar
- 8.Feiner, MacIntyre, Sellgmann.: Knowledge Based Augmented Reality. Communications of ACM, Vol36, No7 (1993) 53–62Google Scholar