Finding the right model for bridge diagnosis
This paper describes a hybrid reasoning system for complex diagnostic tasks in structural engineering. This project combines results from research into compositional modelling with model reuse for improving the quality of diagnosis through a systematic consideration of feasible models for explaining observations. This leads to more accurate predictions of behaviour and as a result, improved structural management.
KeywordsDiagnosis case-based reasoning model-based reasoning compositional modelling structural monitoring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. L. Kolodner, “Case-based Reasoning”, Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1993.Google Scholar
- M.L.Maher and D.M.Zhang, “CADSYN; A case-based design process model”, AI EDAM, vol. 7(2), pp. 97–110, 1993.Google Scholar
- P. Salvaneschi, M. Cadei, and M. Lazzari, “Applying A1 to structural safety monitoring and evaluation”, IEEE Expert/Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, 11, No. 4, August, 1996.Google Scholar
- P.Salvaneschi, M. Cadei and M. Lazzari, “A causal modelling framework for the simulation and explanation of the behaviour of structures”, Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, vol. 11, pp. 205–216, (1997).Google Scholar
- M. J. Chantler, G. M. Coghill, Q. Shen, R. R. Leitch, “Selecting tools and techniques for model-based diagnosis”, Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, vol. 12, pp. 81–98, 1998.Google Scholar
- B. Falkenhainer, K. D. Forbus, “Compositional modelling: Finding the right model for the job”, Artificial Intelligence, vol. 51, pp. 95–143, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Someren, J. Surma, and P. Torasso, “A utility-based approach to learning in a mixed case-based and model-based architecture”, Proceedings, Second International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ICCBR-97), Rhode Island, July 25–27, pp. 477–489, 1997.Google Scholar
- D. J. Macchion, D. Phuoc Vo, “A hybrid knowledge-based system for technical diagnosis learning and assistance”, EWCBR-93, p.301, 1993.Google Scholar
- D. Inaudi, Fibre optic sensor network for the monitoring of civil engineering structures, EPFL Thesis, 1997.Google Scholar