A topological view of some problems in complexity theory
We present a new, combinatorial proof of the classical theorem that the analytic sets are not closed under complement. Possible connections with questions in complexity theory are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A]M. Ajtai, "Σ11-formulae on finite structures", Annals of Pure and Applied Logic 24, 1983, 1–48.Google Scholar
- [FSS]M. Furst, J.B. Saxe, M. Sipser, "Parity, circuits, and the polynomial time hierarchy", Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1981, 260–270.Google Scholar
- [K]K. Kuratowski, Topology, Academic Press, 1966.Google Scholar
- [M]Y. Moschavakis, Descriptive Set Theory, North-Holland, 1980.Google Scholar
- [S1]M. Sipser, "On polynomial versus exponential growth", unpublished report, 1981.Google Scholar
- [S2]M. Sipser, "Borel sets and circuit complexity", Proceedings of the 15th Annual Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1983, 61–69.Google Scholar