We consider the Multi-Message Multicasting problem for the n processor fully connected static network. We present an efficient algorithm to construct a communication schedule with total communication time at most d2, where d is the maximum number of messages a processor may send (receive). We present an algorithm to construct for any problem instance of degree d and fan-out k (maximum number of processors that may receive a given message) a communication schedule with total communication time at most qd+k1/q(d−1), for any integer q≥2. The time complexity bound for our algorithm is O(n(d(q+k1/q))q). Our main result is a linear time approximation algorithm with a smaller approximation bound for small values of k(<100). We discuss applications and show how to adapt our algorithms to dynamic networks such as the Benes network, the interconnection network used in the Meiko CS-2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. S. Almasi, and A. Gottlieb, Highly Parallel Computing, The Benjamin/ Cummings Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.H.-A. Choi, and S. L. Hakimi, “Data Transfers in Networks with Transceivers,” Networks, Vol. 17, (1987), pp. 393–421.Google Scholar
- 6.T. F. Gonzalez, “Unit Execution Time Shop Problems,” Mathematics of Operations Research,” Vol. 7, No. 1, February 1982, pp. 57–66.Google Scholar
- 7.T. F. Gonzalez, “Multimessage Multicasting in Networks,” UCSB Technical Report, (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 8.T. F. Gonzalez, and S. Sahni, Open Shop Scheduling to Minimize Finish Time, Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, Vol. 23, No. 4, October 1976, pp. 665–679.Google Scholar
- 10.A J. Hopcroft, and R. M. Karp, An n 2.5 Algorithm for Maximum Matchings in Bipartite Graphs, SIAM J. Computing, (1973), pp. 225–231.Google Scholar
- 15.P. I. Rivera-Vega, R, Varadarajan, and S. B. Navathe, “Scheduling File Transfers in Fully Connected Networks,” Networks, Vol. 22, (1992), pp. 563–588.Google Scholar
- 17.V. G. Vizing, On an Estimate of the Chromatic Class of a p-graph, Diskret. Analiz., 3 (1964), pp. 25–30 (In Russian).Google Scholar