A multi-agent cooperative reasoning system for amalgamated knowledge bases
We propose a multi-agent cooperative reasoning system for amalgamated knowledge bases. A multi-agent cooperation environment, where inconsistency is allowed, can be presented by an amalgamated knowledge base. Our reasoning method is an extension of the magic sets technique  for amalgamated knowledge bases, augmented with the capabilities of handling amalgamated atoms. Through rewriting a given amalgamated knowledge base, our method offers the advantages associated with top-down as well as bottom-up evaluation. Especially, our reasoning method makes unnecessary the expensive reductant rules of inference introduced in , and the translation of a given amalgamated knowledge base into its regular representation as in . We consider how to make the bottom-up computation for amalgamated atoms, describe the extended magic sets translation rules, and discuss some related problems.
keywordsmulti-agent cooperation reasoning system inconsistency amalgamated knowledge bases magic sets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Adali and V.S. Subrahmanian, ‘Amalgamating Knowledge Bases, III: Algorithms, Data Structures, and Query Processing', Journal of Logic Programming, Vol.28, NO. 1, pp 45–88, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Bancilhon, D. Maier, U. Sagiv and J.D., Ullman, ‘Magic Sets and Other Strange Ways to Implement Logic Programs', Proceedings of Fifth ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 1–15, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.H.A. Blair and V.S. Subrahmanian, ‘Paraconsistent Logic Programming', LNCS 287, Dec. 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.L. He, ‘The Correctness of the Extended Magic Sets Method for AKBs', Technical Report, Itoh Lab., Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Kifer and E. Lozinskii, ‘A Logic for Reasoning with Inconsistency', J. of Automated Reasoning 9, pp.179–215, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Kifer and V.S. Subrahrnanian, ‘Theory of Generalized Annotated Logic Programming and Its Applications', J. of Logic Programming, 12, 4, pp. 335–368, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.U.W. Schwuttke and A.G. Quan, ‘Enhancing Performance of Cooperating Agents in Real-Time Diagnostic System', Proceedings of IJLAI, pp.332–337, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.V.S. Subrahmanian, ‘Paraconsistent Disjunctive Databases', Theoretical Computer Science Journal, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.V.S. Subrahmanian, ‘Amalgamating Knowledge Bases', ACM Trans. on Database Systems, 19,2, pp. 291–331, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.J.D. Ullman, ‘Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems', Computer Science Press, Rockville, Maryland, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Weiß, ‘Learning to Coordinate Action in Multi-Agent System', Proceedings of IJLAI, pp. 311–316, 1993.Google Scholar