Partial order semantics and read arcs
We study a new partial order semantics of Petri nets with read arcs, where read arcs model reading without consuming, which is often more adequate than the destructive-read-and-rewrite modelled in ordinary nets. As basic observations we take ST-traces, which are sequences of transition starts and ends. We define processes of our nets and derive two partial orders modelling causality and start precedence. These partial orders are related to observations and systems states as in the ordinary approach the single partial order of a process is related to firing sequences and reachable markings. Our approach also supports a new view of concurrency as captured by steps.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BG95]N. Busi and R. Gorrieri. A Petri net semantics for π-calculus. In L. Insup and S. Smolka, editors, CONCUR 95, LNCS 962, 145–159. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- [BP96]N. Busi and M. Pinna. Non-sequential semantics for contextual P/T-nets. In J. Billington and W. Reisig, editors, Applications and Theory of Petri Nets 1996, LNCS 1091, 113–132. Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- [CH93]S. Christensen and N.D. Hansen. Coloured Petri nets extended with place capacities, test arcs, and inhibitor arcs. In M. Ajmone-Marsan, editor, Applications and Theory of Petri Nets 1993, LNCS 691, 186–205. Springer, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Fis85]P.C. Fishburn. Interval Orders and Interval Graphs. J. Wiley, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Gla90]R.J. v. Glabbeek. The refinement theorem for ST-bisimulation semantics. In M. Broy and C.B. Jones, editors, Programming Concepts and Methods, Proc. IFIP Working Conference, 27–52. Elsevier Science Pub. (North-Holland), 1990.Google Scholar
- [JK93]R. Janicki and M. Koutny. Order structures and generalisations of szpilrajn's theorem. In R. Shyamasundar, editor, Found. Software Techn. and Theor. Comp. Sci. '93, LNCS 761, 348–357. Springer, 1993.Google Scholar
- [MR95]U. Montanari, F. Rossi. Contextual nets. Acta Informatica, 32:545–596, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Vog92]W. Vogler. Modular Construction and Partial Order Semantics of Petri Nets. Lect. Notes Comp. Sci. 625. Springer, 1992.Google Scholar
- [Vog97]W. Vogler. Efficiency of asynchronous systems and read arcs in Petri nets. To appear in ICALP 97, LNCS. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar