On the influence of the state encoding on OBDD-representations of finite state machines
Ordered binary decision diagrams are an important data structure for the representation of Boolean functions. Typically, the underlying variable ordering is used as an optimization parameter. When finite state machines are represented by OBDDs the state encoding can be used as an additional optimization parameter. In this paper, we analyze the influence of the state encoding on the OBDD-representations of counter-type finite state machines. In particular, we prove lower bounds, derive exact sizes for important encodings and construct a worst-case encoding which leads to exponential-size OBDDs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ATB94]A. Aziz, S. Taziran, and R. K. Brayton. BDD variable ordering for interacting finite state machines. In Proc. 31st ACMIIEEE Design Automation Conference, 283–288, 1994.Google Scholar
- [BCL+94]J. R. Burch, E. M. Clarke, D. E. Long, K. L. McMillan, and D. L. Dill. Symbolic model checking for sequential circuit verification. IEEE Transactions on CAD, 13:401–424, 1994.Google Scholar
- [BMS95]J. Bern, Ch. Meinel, and A. Slobodova. Global rebuilding of OBDDs-avoiding memory requirement maxima. In Proc. Computer-Aided Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 939, 4-15. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Bry86]R. E. Bryant. Graph-based algorithms for Boolean function manipulation. IEEE Transactions on Computers, C-35:677–691, 1986.Google Scholar
- [CBM89]O. Coudert, C. Berthet, and J. C. Madre. Verification of synchronous sequential machines using symbolic execution. In Proc. Workshop on Automatic Verification Methods for Finite State Machines, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 407, 365–373. Springer, 1989.Google Scholar
- [GDN92]A. Ghosh, S. Devadas, and A. R. Newton. Sequential Logic Testing and Verification. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.Google Scholar
- [MS94]Ch. Meinel and A. Slobodova. On the complexity of constructing optimal ordered binary decision diagrams. In Proc. Mathematical Foundations in Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 841, 515–524, 1994.Google Scholar
- [MST97]Ch. Meinel, F. Somenzi, and T. Theobald. Linear sifting of decision diagrams. To appear at 34th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference (Anaheim, CA), 1997.Google Scholar
- [MT96]Ch. Meinel and T. Theobald. Local encoding transformations for optimizing OBDD-representations of finite state machines. In Proc. International Conference on Formal Methods in CAD (Palo Alto, CA), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1166, 404–418. Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Rud93]R. Rudell. Dynamic variable ordering for ordered binary decision diagrams. In Proc. IEEE International Conference on CAD, 42–47, 1993.Google Scholar
- [THY93]S. Tani, K. Hamaguchi, and S. Yajima.The complexity of the optimal variable ordering problems of shared binary decision diagrams. In Proc. International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation '93, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 762, 389–398. Springer, 1993.Google Scholar