A distance measure for decision making in uncertain domains
A novel definition of syntactic distance between structural symbolic descriptions is proposed. It is based on a probabilistic interpretation of the canonical matching predicate. By means of this distance measure it is possible to cope with the problem of matching noise affected descriptions or imprecise rules. Furthermore, an extension of the syntactic distance which manages incomplete descriptions is presented. Finally, the application of the syntactic distance to the problem of classifying digitized office documents by using their page layout description is shown.
Keywordspattern matching syntactic distance concept recognition incomplete descriptions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- SANFELIU, A., & FU, K. S. (1983). A distance measure between attributed relational graphs for Pattern recognition. IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, and Cybern., vol.SMC-13,353–362.Google Scholar
- WONG, A. K. C., & YOU, M. (1985). Entropy and distance of random graphs with application to structural pattern recognition. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., vol.PAMI-7,599–609.Google Scholar
- ESHERA, M.A., & FU, K.S. (1984). A graph distance measure for image analysis. IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, and Cybern., vol.SMC-14,398–408.Google Scholar
- MICHALSKI, R. S., MOZETIC, I., HONG, J., & LAVRAC, N. (1986). The AQ15 Inductive Learning System: An Overview and Experiments, Intelligent Systems Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL.Google Scholar
- MICHALSKI, R. S. (1980). Pattern Recognition as Rule-Guided Inductive Inference. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., vol.PAMI-2,349–361.Google Scholar
- LARSON, J.B. (1977). Inductive Inference in the Variable Valued Predicate Logic System VL21:Methodology and Computer implementation. Doctoral dissertation, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.Google Scholar
- WINSTON, P.H. (1984). Artificial Intelligence (2nd ed.). Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 391–414.Google Scholar
- SHAPIRO, L.G., & HARALICK, R.M. (1985). A Metric for Comparing Relational Descriptions. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., vol.PAMI-2,90–94.Google Scholar
- ESPOSITO, F., MALERBA, D., SEMERARO G., ANNESE, E., & SCAFURO, G. (1990). Empirical learning methods for digitized document recognition: an integrated approach to inductive generalization. Proceedings of the sixth IEEE Conference on Artificial Intell. Applications, Santa Barbara, CA, 37–45.Google Scholar
- ESPOSITO,F.,MALERBA,D.,SEMERARO,G.,ANNESE,E.,SCAFURO,G.(1990). An experimental page lay outrecognition system for office document automatic classification: an integrated approach for inductive generalization. Proc. of the 10th IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Atlantic City, NJ, 557–562.Google Scholar