Conditional events with vague information in expert systems
Ad hoc techniques and inference methods used in expert systems are often logically inconsistent. On the other hand, among properties and assertions concerning handling of uncertainty, those which turns out to be well founded can be in general easily deduced from probability laws. Relying on the general concept of event as a proposition and starting from a few conditional events of initial interest, a gradual and coherent assignment of conditional probabilities is possible by resorting to de Finetti's theory of coherent extension of subjective probability. Moreover, even when numerical probabilities can be easily assessed, a more general approach is obtained introducing an ordering among conditional events by means of a coherent qualitative probability.
Key-wordsCoherence numerical probability qualitative probability uncertainty in expert systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams E. (1975), The Logic of Conditionals, Dordrecht, D. Reidel.Google Scholar
- Bruno G., Gilio A. (1980), Applicazione del metodo del simplesso al teorema fondamentale per le probabilita` nella concezione soggettiva, Statistica 40, 337–344.Google Scholar
- Coletti G., Gilio A., Scozzafava R. (1990), Coherent qualitative probability and uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 8th International Congress of Cybernetics and Systems, New York (to appear).Google Scholar
- De Finetti B. (1970), Teoria delle probabilita`, Torino, Einaudi.Google Scholar
- De Finetti B. (1972), Probability, Induction and Statistics, New York, Wiley.Google Scholar
- Dubois D., Prade H. (1988), Conditioning in possibility and evidence theories — A logical viewpoint, in Uncertainty and Intelligent Systems (Bouchon-Meunier B., Saitta L., Yager R.R., eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science # 313, Springer Verlag, 401–408.Google Scholar
- Gilio A. (1990), Criterio di penalizzazione e condizioni di coerenza nella valutazione soggettiva della probabilita`, Bollettino Unione Matematica Italiana (7) 4-B, 645–660.Google Scholar
- Gilio A., Scozzafava R. (1988), Le probabilita` condizionate coerenti nei sistemi esperti, in Atti delle giornate AIRO su Ricerca Operativa e Intelligenza Artificiale, Pisa, Centro di Ricerca IBM, 317–330.Google Scholar
- Goodman I.R., Nguyen H.T. (1988), Conditional objects and the modeling of uncertainties, in Fuzzy Computing (Gupta M., Yamakawa T., eds.), Amsterdam, North Holland, 119–138.Google Scholar
- Pearl J. (1988), Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems: Networks of Plausible Inference, San Mateo (California, USA), Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Scozzafava R. (1980), Bayesian Inference and Inductive ‘Logic', Scientia, 115, 47–53.Google Scholar