A conceptual model for the representation of statistical data in geographical information systems
In this paper we are concerned with the problem of the representation of statistical-scientific data in the field of geographical information systems. Our approach allows the modeling of both the descriptive and the spatial-geometric aspects of information. This ensures: (1) an easier formulation of statistical queries cointaining references to geographical attributes of data, (2) a way for an easy linking between statistical data and their geographical reference. We discuss the problem of modeling geographical data from a conceptual point of view: in this framework we show that it is possible to consider only the topological aspect of geographical information. We show that this allows to deal in a natural way with queries involving metrics via a suitable reduction to topological queries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AGNT]G.Ausiello, G.Gambosi, E.Nardelli, M.Talamo: "GEODEQ: Uno strumento interattivo per la gestione e l'interrogazione di dati ed immagini cartografiche integrati", Proc. AICA National Conference, Palermo, 1986.Google Scholar
- [C]N.S.Chang: "An integrated image analysis and image database management system", Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Purdue University, 1980.Google Scholar
- [CBGM]E.D. Carlson, J.L. Bennet, G.M. Giddings, P.E. Mantey: "The design and evaluation of an interactive geo-data analysis and display system", Proc. IFIP Congress 1974, North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1974.Google Scholar
- [CF]N.S.Chang, K.S.Fu: "A relational database system for images", TR-EE 79-28, Purdue University, May 1979.Google Scholar
- [CRM]S.K.Chang, J.Reuss, M.H.McCormick: "An integrated relational database system for images", Proc. 1977 IEEE Workshop on Picture Data Description and Management, Chicago, Illinois, 1977.Google Scholar
- [GGNST]G. Gambosi, C. Gaibisso, E. Nardelli, G. Soccodato, M. Talamo: "A proposal for the efficient representation and management of geometric entities in a geographic information system", Tech. Rep. 177, IASI, Roma, Dec. 1986.Google Scholar
- [GNT]G.Gambosi, E.Nardelli, M.Talamo, "A model for the efficient manipulation of geographical data", in progressGoogle Scholar
- [H]J.R.Herring: "TIGRIS: Object system implementation of a spatial geographic information system", INTERGRAPH Corp. report, 1986.Google Scholar
- [N]G.Nagy: "Toward a high-level integrated image database system", Proc. AICA Workshop on ‘Immagini e Territorio', Milano, 1987.Google Scholar
- [S]A.Shoshani, "Statistical databases: characteristics, problems, and some solutions", Proc. of the 8th VLDB, Mexico, Sept. 82.Google Scholar