Tableau methods for PA-processes
PA (Process algebra) is the name that has become common use to denote the algebra with a sequential and parallel operator (without communication), plus recursion. PA-processes are a superset of both Basic Parallel Processes (BPP) [Chr93] and context-free processes (BPA).
We study three problems for PA-processes: The reachability problem, the partial deadlock reachability problem (“Is it possible to reach a state where certain actions are not enabled ?”) and the partial livelock reach-ability problem (“Is it possible to reach a state where certain actions are disabled forever ?”). We present sound and complete tableau systems for these problems and compare them to non-tableau algorithms.
Keywordstableau systems temporal logic process algebras PA-processes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BEM96]J. Bradfield, J. Esparza, and A. Mader. An effective tableau system for the linear time μ-calculus. In F. Meyer auf der Heide and B. Monien, editors, Proceedings of ICALP'96, number 1099 in LNCS. Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Chr93]S. Christensen. Decidability and Decomposition in Process Algebras. PhD thesis, Edinburgh University, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Esp95]Javier Esparza. Petri nets, commutative context-free grammars and basic parallel processes. In Horst Reichel, editor, Fundamentals of Computation Theory, number 965 in LNCS. Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Esp96]J. Esparza. More infinite results. In B. Steffen and T. Margaria, editors, Proceedings of INFINITY'96, number MIP-9614 in Technical report series of the University of Passau. University of Passau, 1996.Google Scholar
- [May84]E. Mayr. An algorithm for the general petri net reachability problem. SIAM Journal of Computing, 13:441–460, 1984.Google Scholar
- [May96a]Richard Mayr. Model checking pa-processes. Technical Report TUM-I9640, TU-München, December 1996.Google Scholar
- [May96b]Richard Mayr. Semantic reachability for simple process algebras. In B. Steffen and T. Margaria, editors, Proceedings of INFINITY'96, number MIP-9614 in Technical report series of the University of Passau. University of Passau, 1996.Google Scholar
- [May96c]Richard Mayr. A tableau system for model checking petri nets with a fragment of the linear time μ-calculus. Technical Report TUM-I9634, TU-München, October 1996.Google Scholar
- [Mil89]R. Milner. Communication and Concurrency. Prentice Hall, 1989.Google Scholar