An experimental delay analysis for local audio video streams for desktop collaborations
The delay which is one of the QoS (quality of service) parameters is considered to be a crucial factor for the effective usage of realtime audio and video streams in the interactive collaborations. Among the various causes of the delay, we, in this paper, focus on the local delay concerned with the schemes which handle continuous inflow of encoded data from constant or variable bit-rate audio and video encoders. We introduce two implementation approaches, Pull Model and Push Model. While the pull model periodically pumps out the incoming data from the system buffer, the push model receives events from the device drivers for hardware encoders. From our experiments, it was shown that the push model outperforms the other for both variable and constant bit rate in terms of the local delay, when the system suffers reasonable loads.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, R., Downing, A., Finn K., Rennison, E., Kim, D.H., Lim, Y.H.: Multimedia Processing Model for a Distributed Multimedia 1/O System. proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on Networking and Operating Systems for Digital Audio-Video, San Diego, California, (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.ITU-Telecommunication G.711: Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) of Voice Frequencies. (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.ITU-Telecommunication H.261: Video CODEC for audiovisual services at px64 kbits/s. (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Kim, D.H., S.H. Ohe, J.K. Hwang, Y.H. Lim, E. Rennison.: A Synchronization and Integration Model for Audio, Video, and Time-based Graphics Multimedia. Proc. of the 2nd Pacific Rim Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Seoul, Korea, Vol. 11, (1992) 1093–1099.Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, D. H.: MuX User Manual. MuX Users Group, email@example.com, (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.Stone, D.L., and K. Jeffay.: Queue Monitoring: A Delay Jitter Management Policy. ACM Journal of Multimedia, (1994) 151–162.Google Scholar
- 7.Tokuda, H.: Operating System Support for Continuous Media Applications. Multimedia Information Systems, ACM Press, U.S.A. (1994).Google Scholar