A novel receiver structure for MPSK in the presence of rapidly changing phase
In this paper, we introduce a novel receiver for the detection of data in the presence of rapidly changing nuisance parameters and additive noise. This receiver uses a parallel structure, and its output approximates a Maximum Likelihood detection of the data. We apply this receiver to the special case of data detection of MPSK in the presence of rapidly changing unknown phase; here, the rate of phase change is such that phase change over two symbols is negligible, but it is not necessarily negligible over a longer interval. The unknown-phase receiver we propose outperforms DPSK by 1.5 dB. We also compare the performance of this receiver with that of Multiple Symbol Differential Detection (MSDD). Except under very slow phase change conditions, this receiver outper-forms MSDD. Furthermore, our unknown-phase receiver is easy to implement, requiring a relatively low complexity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Sklar, Digital Communications: Fundamentals and Applications. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Divsalar and M.K. Simon, “Multiple-symbol differential detection of MPSK,” IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 38, pp.300–308, Mar.1990.Google Scholar
- 3.S.G. Wilson, J. Freebersyser, and C. Marshall,”Multi-symbol detection of M-DPSK,” presented at GLOBECOM'89, Dallas, Texas, Nov. 27–30, 1989, pp.1692–1697.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Makrakis and K. Feher,”Optimal noncoherent detection of PSK signals,” Electronics Letters, Vol.26, pp. 398–400, Mar.15, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Leib and S. Pasupathy,” Optimal noncoherent block demodulation of differential phaseGoogle Scholar
- 6.K.M. Mackenthun, “A fast algorithm for multiple-symbol differential detection of MPSK,” IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 42, pp. 1471–1474, April 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.C. W. Helstrom, Statistical Theory of Signal Detection. Oxford, New York: Pergamon Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.P.Y. Kam, K.Y. Seek, T.T. Tjhung, and P. Sinha, ”Error probability of 2DPSK with phase noise,” IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 42, pp.2366–2369, July 1994.Google Scholar