A method for combining algebraic geometric Goppa codes
Various methods for combining codes to obtain new ones have been described by MacWilliams and Sloane . In this paper we present another method for combining algebraic geometric (a.g.) Goppa codes to construct new longer codes using function field extensions. We also prove that if one starts with an a.g. code with minimum distance better than expected, then the new code, obtained by this method, will also have minimum distance better than expected. Furthermore, we give an estimate on the improvement of the minimum distance of the new code.
Key words and phrasesalgebraic geometric Goppa codes algebraic function fields of one variable elementary abelian extensions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.L. Feng and R.R.N. Rao. A novel approach for contruction of algebraic geometric codes from affine plane curves. University of Southwestern Louisiana, preprint, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.G.L. Peng and R.R.N. Rao. Decoding of algebraic geometric codes up to designed minimum distance. IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 39:37–46, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Garcia, S.J. Kim, and R.F. Lax. Goppa codes and Weistrass gaps. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 84:199–207, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Garcia and R.F. Lax. Goppa codes and Weistrass gaps. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer Verlag, 1518:33–42, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.V.D. Goppa. Codes on algebraic curves. Soviet Math. Doklady, 24:170–172, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.V.D. Goppa. Algebraic geometric codes. Mathematics of the USSR Izvestiya, 21, no.1:75–91, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.V.D. Goppa. Codes and information. Russian Mathematical Surveys, 39, no.1:87–141, 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.V.D. Goppa. Geometry and Codes. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Kirfel and R. Pellikaan. The minimum distance of codes in an array comming from telescopic semigroups. Eindhoven University of Technology, 1993. preprint.Google Scholar
- 10.F.J. MacWilliams and N.J.A Sloane. The Theory of Error Correcting Codes. North Holland, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.H Stichtenoth. Algebraic Function Fields and Codes. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993.Google Scholar