Event based simulation of software development project planning
Planning (as well as controlling) of software development is an essential feature of every software project management system. From the viewpoint of the project. manager, the software development process is composed of a set of hierarchically ordered, partially logical interdependent and timely interlocked executing tasks, which can be started only in the case of availability of qualified resources. Moreover, external modifications performed by the decision making project management, for instance the refinement of the current work breakdown structure, often imply changes of the project flow and are therefore also to be taken into consideration. To master all these dynamic proceedings, we propose a special event based mechanism to describe the underlying abstract model, the socalled DEVS (Discrete Event Specification) formalism. Based on it, a simulation system is built, which generates in real time optimized project plans with regard to available human resources, whenever needed.
KeywordsEvent based simulation Software project planning Multiobjective resource optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.P.Zeigler, (1984): Multifacetted Modelling and Discrete Event Simulation, Academic Press, San Diego Google Scholar
- J.Rozenblit, L.Suantak and F.Bretschneider, (1996): Concepts for Computer Aided Support of Complex Engineering Projects, in Proceedings of the 1996 European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research Vienna Google Scholar
- B.Curtis, M.Kellner and J.Over (1992): Process Modelling, in Communications of the ACM, Vol.35(9) Google Scholar
- A.Pagnoni, (1990): Project Engineering, Springer Verlag Google Scholar
- F.Bretschneider, C.Kocourek, S.Mittrach and J.Rozenblit, (1993): Decision Support, Planning and Data Management of Complex, Discrete Event Systems, in Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence, Simulation and Planning in High Autonomy Systems, IEEE Computer Society Press Google Scholar
- M.Burghardt, (1993): Projektmanagement: Leitfaden fuer die Planung, Ueberwachung und Steuerung von Entwicklungsprojekten, zweite ueberarbeitete Auflage, Verlag Siemens AG, Berlin und Muenchen Google Scholar
- B.S.Blanchard and W.J.Fabrycky, (1990): Systems Engineering and Analysis, Verlag Prentice Hall Google Scholar
- M.Mauerkirchner, (1997): Event Based Modelling and Control of Software Processes, in Engineering of Computer-Based Systems — Proceeding ECBS'97 Monterey California Google Scholar
- A.Arifoglu, (1993): A Methodology for Software Cost Estimation, in ACM Sigsoft Software Engineering Notes Vol.18(2) Google Scholar