Extending constraint satisfaction problem solving in structural design
In this article we address the problem of constraint satisfaction in structural design and present a theory of fuzzy constraint satisfaction (FCSP). Constraints based on fuzzy relations can be either hard and soft. Using fuzzy constraint satisfaction we are able to reason about the degree a constraint is satisfied, thus avoiding a static partition into hard and soft constraints as traditionally used. Various functions and comparators are defined for searching the best solution. We exploit object-oriented programming methods to implement FCSP for structural design.
Key wordsFuzzy set Constraint satisfaction Structural design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alois Haselböck, Constraint Satisfaction Problems — Ein Überblick über Verfahren und Anwendungen. DBAI-CSP-ST 91/1, Technical University of Vienna, 1991Google Scholar
- Ken Satoh. Formalizing Soft Constraints by Interpretation Ordering, In Proceeding of 9th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pages 585–590, Stockholm, Sweden, August 1990Google Scholar
- A. Borning, M. Maher, A. Marindale, and M. Wilson. Constraint Hierarchies and Logic Programming. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Logic Programming, pages 149–164, Lisbon, Portugal, June 1989.Google Scholar
- Eugene C. Freuder. Partial Constraint Satisfaction. In Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Pages 278–283, Detroit Michigan USA, August 1989. Morgan kaufmann Publishers, Inc.Google Scholar
- Alber Haag. Ein Beitrag zur praktischen Handhabung von Planungs-und Konfigurierungsaufgaben. Arbeitspapiere der GMD, 388:83–105, 1989.Google Scholar
- Takanori Yokoyama. An Object-Oriented and Constraint-Based Knowledge Representation System for Design Object Modeling. In Proceedings TOOLS, Pages 156–152, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kefeng Hua, Boi Faltings, and Djamila Haround. Dynamic Constraint Satisfaction in a Bridge Design System. In Proceedings of international Workshop on Expert Systems in Engineering Principles and Application. Pages 217–232, Vienna Austria, September, 1990. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Lin Shaopei, Gu Xiuling, Guan Qi, and G.K. Mikroundis. On Development of Expert System for Steel Structural Design. In Proceedings of the 12-th World Congress on Mathematics and Computer in Simulation. Pages 447–449, Paris, July, 1988.Google Scholar