Analytical models of multithreading with data prefetching
A combination of multithreading with prefetching allows increased efficiency of large-scale multiprocessors. In this paper, we evaluate two prefetching techniques in multi-threaded architectures: switch-on-prefetch and run-on-prefetch. We present two basic analytical models of multithreading with prefetching, which allow rough performance prediction on the first stages of top-down system design. The first model is the first-order approximation for efficiency of multi-threaded architectures with prefetching. The second model is a queuing network of the architecture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Boothe B., Ranade A.: Improved Multithreading Techniques for Hiding Communication Latency in Multiprocessors. Proc. of the 19th Int. Symp. on Comp. Arch. (1992) 241–223Google Scholar
- 4.Cao P., Feiten E.W., Karlin A.R., Li K.: Implementation and Performance of Integrated Application-Controlled Caching, Prefetching and Disk Scheduling. Tech. Rep. CS-TR-493-95, Dept. of Comp. Science., Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen T.-F.: Data Prefetching for High-Performance Processors. Ph.D. dissertation, UWCSE-93-07-01, Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Eng., Uni. of Washington, Seattle, WA (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta A., et al.: Comparative Evaluation of Latency Reducing and Tolerating Techniques. Proc. of the 18th Int. Symp. on Computer Architecture. (1991) 254–533Google Scholar
- 7.Jain R.: The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis. Wiley & Sons, Inc. (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Mowry T.C., Lam M.S., Gupta A.: Design and Evaluation of a Compiler Algorithm for Prefetching. Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operation Systems. (1992) 62–73Google Scholar
- 9.Nemawarkar S. S., Govindarajan R., Gao G.R., Agarwal V.K.: Analysis of Multithreaded Multiprocessors with Distributed Shared Memory. Proc. of the 5th Int. Symp. on Parallel and Distributed Processing. (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Saavedra-Barrera R. H., Culler D. E., von Eicken T.: Analysis of Multithreaded Architectures for Parallel Computing. Proc. of the 2nd Ann. ACM Symp. on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. (1990) 169–178Google Scholar
- 12.Vlassov V., Ahmed H., Thorelli L.-E., Ayani R.: A Simulation Platform for Multi-Threaded Architectures. Proc. of the 4th Int. Workshop MASCOTS'96. (1996) 103–108Google Scholar
- 13.Vlassov V: Performance Evaluation of Multithreaded Architectures with Data Prefetching. Tech. Rep. TRITA-IT-R 96:05. Dept. of Teleinf., KTH, Stockholm. (1996)Google Scholar