On experiments with a parallel direct solver for diagonally dominant banded linear systems
We report on numerical experiments that we conducted with a direct algorithm, the single width sparator algorithm, to solve diagonally dominant banded linear systems. With detailed estimations of computation and communication cost we quantitatively analyze their influence on the parallel performance of the algorithm. We report on numerical experiments executed on an Intel Paragon XP/S-22MP.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Anderson, Z. Bai, C. Bischof, J. Demmel, J. Dongarra, J. Du Croz, A. Greenbaum, S. Hammarling, A. McKenney, S. Ostrouchov, and D. Sorensen. LAPACK Users' Guide. SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Arbenz and W. Gander. A survey of direct parallel algorithms for banded linear systems. Tech. Report 221, ETH Zürich, Computer Science Department, November 1994. ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/publications/tech-reports/2xx/221.ps.Google Scholar
- 3.David H. Bailey. RISC microprocessors and scientific computing. In Supercomputing '93, pages 645–654, Los Alamitos, CA, 1993. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- 5.J. J. Dongarra. Performance of various computers using standard linear equation software equations software. Tech. Report CS-89-85, University of Tennessee, Computer Science Department, Knoxville, TN, November 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.G. H. Golub and C. F. van Loan. Matrix Computations. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 2nd edition, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Hegland. Divide and conquer for the solution of banded linear systems. Research report, Computer Sci. Lab. and Centre Math. Appl, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 1995. To be published in the Proceedings of the 4th EuroMicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, Braga, Portugal, 24–26 January, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.R. W. Hockney and C. R. Jesshope. Parallel Computers 2. Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1988.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Sameh. Parallel algorithms for structured sparse linear systems. Talk at the ICIAM'95, Hamburg, 3.–7. July 1995.Google Scholar