Applications of modal logic for the specification of real-time systems
We propose a real-time modal logic with recursion for the specification of real-time systems. All modalities of Timed Computational Tree Logic (TCTL) are definable in it. We also present a model checker, a tableau system, which allows us to test whether or not a real-time system expressed as a timed transition system has or satisfies a property given by a formula in a finite model. The tableau system is independent of the choice of time domain, allowing time to be discrete or dense.
KeywordsModel Checker Modal Logic Temporal Logic Time Expression Liveness Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ACD90]R. Alur, C. Courcoubetis and D. L. Dill, Model Checking for Real-Time Systems, in Proc. of the 5th Annual Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, pp 414–425, 1990Google Scholar
- [AH90]R. Alur and T. A. Henzinger, A Really temporal Logic, in Proc. of the 30th Annual Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp 164–169, 1989Google Scholar
- [Che91]L. Chen, Decidability and Completeness in Real-Time Processes, Technical Report ECS-LFCS-91-185, University of Edinburgh, 1991Google Scholar
- [Che92]L. Chen, An Interleaving Model for Real-Time Systems, in Proc. of Symp. of Logical Foundations of Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 620, pp 81–92, 1992Google Scholar
- [HLP90]E. Harel, O. Lichtenstein and A. Pnueli, Explicit-clock Temporal Logic, in Proc. of the 5th Annual Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, pp 402–413, 1990Google Scholar
- [HM85]M. Hennessy and R. Milner, Algebraic Laws for Nondeterministic and Concurrency, Journal of the Asso. for Comp. Machinery, vol 32, pp 137–161, 1985Google Scholar
- [Koy89]R. L. C. Koyman, Specifying Message Passing and Time-Critical Systems with Temporal Logic, Ph.D thesis, Technical University Eindhoven, 1989Google Scholar
- [Lar88]K. Larsen, Proof Systems for Hennessy-Milner Logic with Recursion, in Proc. of CAAP, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 299, 1988Google Scholar
- [Mil89]R. Milner, Communication and Concurrency, Pretice-Hall international, 1989Google Scholar
- [MT90]F. Moller and C. Tofts, A Temporal Calculus of Communicating Systems, in Proc. of Concur'90, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 458, pp 401–415, 1990Google Scholar
- [Sti91]C. Stirling, Modal and Temporal Logics, in Handbook of Logic in Computer Science, eds by S. Abramsky, D. Gabbay and T. Maibaum, 1991Google Scholar
- [SW89]C. Stirling and D. Walker, Local Model Checking in the Modal Mu-Calculus, in Proc. Intl. Joint Conf. on Theory and Practice of Software Development, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 351, 1989Google Scholar