Semantic interoperability of multitemporal relational databases
Interoperability is concerned with the interaction of databases of different kinds. In this paper we consider semantic interoperability between relational database systems of different temporal types (snapshot, transaction-time, valid-time or bitemporal), and between relations of different temporal types within the same system.
The temporal natural join is the most important operation for combining data stored in different relations and, thus, is also mainly concerned in temporal interoperability problems. Therefore, a suitable variant of algorithms for temporal natural join is presented. The variant is based on the translation of temporally heterogeneous relations into a common format and on a mechanism of completion of relations which store incomplete information along some time dimension. Semantic and operative issues connected with the proposal are discussed.
KeywordsTime Dimension Temporal Natural Temporal Type Valid Time Semantic Interoperability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bhargava G., Gadia S.K., “Relational Database Systems with Zero Information Loss,” IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 5:1 (Feb. 1993).Google Scholar
- 2.Elmasri R., El-Assal I., Kouramajian V., “Semantics of Temporal Data in an Extended ER Model,” Proc. Intl. Conf. on E-R Approach, Lausanne, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.Elmagarmid A.K., Pu C. (eds.), Special Issue on Heterogeneous Databases of ACM Computing Surveys, 22:3 (Sept. 1990).Google Scholar
- 4.Guttman A., “The R-trees: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching,” Proc. of ACM SIGMOD Conf., Boston, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Jajodia S., Wang X.S., “Temporal Mediators: Supporting Uniform Access to Heterogeneous Temporal Databases,” Proc. Workshop on Interoperability of Database Systems and Database Applications, Fribourg, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Jensen C.S., Clifford J., Elmasri R., Gadia S.K., Hayes P., Jajodia S. (eds.), et al., “A Consensus Glossary of Temporal Database Concepts,” in Final Report of Intl. Workshop on an Infrastructure for Temporal Databases, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.Litwin W., Abdellativ A., “Multidatabase Interoperability,” IEEE Computer, Dec. 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Navathe S.B., Ahmed R., “A Temporal Relational Model and a Query Language,” Information Sciences, 49 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.Segev A., Gunadhi H., “Event-Join Optimization in Temporal Relational Databases,” Proc. of Intl. VLDB Conf., Amsterdam, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Sheth A.P. (ed.), Special Issue on Semantic Issues in Multidatabase Systems, ACM SIGMOD Record, 20:4 (Dec. 1991).Google Scholar
- 12.Tansel A., Snodgrass R.T., Clifford J., Gadia S.K., Segev A. (eds.), Temporal Databases, Theory, Design and Implementation, Benjamin-Cummings, 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.Ullman J.D., Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems, Vol. I, Computer Science Press, 1988.Google Scholar