HASSE: a tool for analyzing causal relationships in parallel and distributed systems
As the causal relationships induced by communication between cooperating processes are crucial for understanding the dynamic behavior of parallel and distributed systems, tool support is needed for analyzing them. This paper presents hasse, a tool which graphically represents the event traces from cooperating processes according to a formal description of their causal interdependences. Hasse allows to interactively zoom and further analyze the systems' activities shown. Especially the ability to automatically determine and display the pre-area and post-area of selected events is an important aid for determining the cause of an observed undesired behavior.
Keywordscausal relationship monitoring parallel and distributed system evaluation tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Bemmerl, R. Lindhof, and T. Treml: The Distributed Monitor System of TOPSYS. In H. Burkhart, (Ed.): CONPAR 90-VAPP IV, Joint International Conference on Vector and Parallel Processing. Proceedings, pages 756–764, Zürich, Switzerland, September 1990. Springer, Berlin, LNCS 457.Google Scholar
- P. Dauphin: Combining Functional and Performance Debugging of Parallel and Distributed Systems based on Model-driven Monitoring. In 2nd EUROMICRO Workshop on „Parallel and Distributed Processing“, University of Malaga, Spain, pages 463–470, Jan. 26.–28. 1994.Google Scholar
- M.T. Heath and J.A. Etheridge: Visualizing the Performance of Parallel Programs. IEEE Software, pages 29–39, September 1991.Google Scholar
- D. Hogrefe: Estelle, LOTOS und SDL. Springer, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- W. Kern: Concept and Implementation of a Tool Representing Causal Relationships of Event Traces (in German). Master's thesis, Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, IMMD VII, September 1993.Google Scholar
- A.D. Malony, D.H. Hammerslag, and D.J. Jablonowski: Traceview: A Trace Visualization Tool. IEEE Software, September 1991.Google Scholar
- F. Mattern: Verteilte Basisalgorithmen. Springer Verlag, IFB 226, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- B. Mohr: SIMPLE: a Performance Evaluation Tool Environment for Parallel and Distributed Systems. In A. Bode, editor, Distributed Memory Computing, 2nd European Conference, EDMCC2, pages 80–89, Munich, Germany, April 1991. Springer, Berlin, LNCS 487.Google Scholar