An interval-based modal logic for system specification
This paper presents an interval-based modal logic for specification of real-time systems and knowledge representation. A real-time system is understood as a time-dependent dynamic entity whose attributes can be observed and changed by performing actions. We take linear and dense time as our underlying time model, which can be characterised by the rationals. In our formalism, modal operators on formulas are defined by time intervals and modal operators on terms are defined by time instants and actions. Actions are not instantaneous but take some time to be performed. Different actions can take place at the same time. The proposed logic can also allow to specify obligations and prohibitions of actions over a period of time in deontic sense.
Keywordsaction real time interval modal operator obligation prohibition system specification and verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [All83]J.F. Allen, Maintaining knowledge about temporal interval, CACM 26(11), 832–843, 1983Google Scholar
- [Ben83]J. van Benthem, The Logic of Time, Dordrecht, Dordrecht, 1983Google Scholar
- [Che80]B.F. Chellas, Modal Logic: An Introduction, Cambridge University Press, 1980Google Scholar
- [FiSe90]J. Fiadeiro, & A. Sernadas, Logics of modal terms for system specification, J. of Logic and Computation, 1(2), 1990,187–227Google Scholar
- [HaSh86]J. Halpern & Y. Shoham, A prepositional modal logic of time intervals, 1st IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, 279–292, 1986Google Scholar
- [Hil71]R. Hilpinen (ed.) Deontic Logic: Introductory and Systematic Readings, Dordrecht, Reidel, 1971Google Scholar
- [HMM83]J. Halpern, Z. Manna, B. Moszkowski, A hardware semantics based on temporal intervals, Proc. of 10th Conf. on Automata, Language, and Programming, Barcelona, 1983, 278–291Google Scholar
- [LiSe91]R. Li, A. Sernadas, Reasoning about objects using tableau method, J. Logic and Computation, 2(4), 1991Google Scholar
- [Mai87]T.S. Maibaum, A logic for the formal requirements specification of real time embedded systems, Alvey Formal Requirements Specification (Project SE015), Forest Project, 1987Google Scholar
- [MoMa84]B. Moszkowski & Z. Manna, Reasoning in interval temporal logic, LNCS 164 (1984), 371–384Google Scholar
- [NaAa88]K.T. Narayana & A.A. Aaby, Specification of real-time systems in real time temporal interval logic, Proc. of Real-Time Systems Symposium, 86–95, IEEE Computer Society, Dec. 1988Google Scholar
- [Ven]Y. Venema, Expressiveness and completeness of an interval tense logic, University of Amsterdam, 1988 (also to appear in Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic)Google Scholar