On using protean to verify ISO FTAM protocol
This paper describes the use of PROTEAN and associated methodology to verify the ISO FTAM (File Transfer, Access and Management) DIS (Draft international standard) protocol and discusses the analysis of its behaviour using PROTEAN facilities. PROTEAN is an automated validation tool developed by Telecom Australia. The formal description technique used is Numerical Petri Nets (NPNs), an extension of Petri Nets. The procedures carried out were based primarily on reachability analysis. The behaviour of the protocol as specified was compared to its service specification. There are two protocol machines specified for FTAM: the basic protocol and the error recovery protocol machines.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartoli, P.D., “The Application Layer of the Reference Model of Open Systems Interconnection”, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1404–1407, December, 1983.Google Scholar
- Billington, J., Wilbur-Ham, M.C., and Bearman, M.Y., “Automated Protocol Verification”, Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, June, 1985.Google Scholar
- Billington, J., Wheeler, G.R., and Wilbur-Ham, M.C., “PROTEAN: A High-level Petri Net Tool for the Specification and Verification of Communication Protocols”, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 301–316, March 1988.Google Scholar
- ISO DIS 8571, “Information Processing Systems — Open Systems Interconnection — File Transfer Access and Management — Parts 1,2,3 and 4”, Draft International Standard, ANSI, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- Lai, R., “Formal Specification and Verification of ISO FTAM Protocol”, PhD Thesis, La Trobe University, Australia, August, 1989.Google Scholar
- Lai, R., Dillon, T.S., Parker, K.R., “Verification Results for ISO FTAM Basic Protocol”, Proceedings of Ninth Symposium on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, North-Holland, June, 1989.Google Scholar
- Lewan, D., and Long, H.G., “The OSI File Service”, Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1414–1419, December, 1983.Google Scholar
- Peterson, J.L., “Petri Nets Theory and the Modelling of Systems”, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1981.Google Scholar
- Symons, F.J.W., “Modelling and Analysis of Communication Protocols using Numerical Petri Nets” PhD Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering Science and Telecommunications, University of Essex, May, 1978.Google Scholar
- West, C.H., “An Automated Tecnique of Communication Protocol Validation”, IEEE Transaction on Communications, vol. COM-26, pp.1271–1275, Aug, 1978.Google Scholar
- Wheeler, G.R., “Numerical Petri Nets — A Definition”, Telecom Australia Research Laboratories Report 7780, Telecom Australia Research Laboratories, May, 1985.Google Scholar