Inductive inference of optimal programs a survey and open problems
The present paper surveys results and presents open problems concerning the limiting-effective synthesis of optimal programs for recursive functions given by input-output examples.
Five different formalizations of the intuitive notion “optimal program” are given. In particular, it is studied under what conditions the knowledge that every function from a function class does possess an “optimal program” is sufficient to infer such an “optimal program” in the limit for each function contained in the class.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alton, D. A. (1976), Non-existence of program optimizers in several abstract settings. J. Computer System Sciences 12, 368–393.Google Scholar
- Angluin, D. and C. H. Smith (1987), Formal inductive inference, in Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence, (S. Shapiro, Ed.), John Wiley and Sons Inc.Google Scholar
- Blum, M. (1967), Machine independent theory of complexity of recursive functions. J. ACM 14, 322–336.Google Scholar
- Blum, L. and M. Blum (1975), Toward a mathematical theory of inductive inference, Information and Control 28, 122–155Google Scholar
- Freivalds, R. (1990), Inductive inference of minimal programs, in Proc. 3rd Workshop on Computational Learning Theory, Rochester, (M. A. Fulk and J. Case, Eds.), Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 3–20.Google Scholar
- Gasarch, W. I. and C. H. Smith (1991), Learning via queries, J. ACM, to appear, extended abstract in Proc. 29th Annual IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, White Plains, 1988.Google Scholar
- Kinber, E., Gasarch, W. I., T. Zeugmann, M. G. Pleszkoch and C. H. Smith (1990), Learning via queries with teams and anomalies, Proc. 3rd Workshop on Computational Learning Theory, Rochester, (M. A. Fulk and J. Case, Eds.), Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 327–337.Google Scholar
- Gold, E. M. (1965), Limiting recursion, J. Symbolic Logic 30, 28–48.Google Scholar
- Machtey, M. and P. Young (1978), An introduction to the general theory of algorithms, North-Holland, New York.Google Scholar
- Rogers, H. Jr. (1967), Theory of recursive functions and effective com putability, Mc Graw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Zeugmann, T. (1983a), A-posteriori characterizations in inductive inference of recursive functions, J. Information Processing and Cybernetics (EIK) 19, 559–594.Google Scholar
- Zeugmann, T. (1983b), On the synthesis of fastest programs in inductive inference, J. Information Processing and Cybernetics (EIK) 19, 625–642.Google Scholar
- Zeugmann, T. (1988), On the power of recursive optimizers, Theoretical Computer Science 62, 1988, 289–310.Google Scholar