Transformation strategies for deriving on line programs
We consider a class of programs whose output is a sequence of "elementary actions" or "moves". We provide some transformation strategies for deriving efficient iterative programs which exhibit a "on-line behaviour", i.e. producing the output moves, one at the time, according to a given sequence ordering. Our methods also give an answer to a long standing challenge [Hay77] for deriving a very fast on-line program for the Towers of Hanoi (and similarly defined) problems.
KeywordsRecursive Call Procedure Find Information Processing Letter Recursive Program Iterative Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bir84]Bird, R.S.: "The Promotion and Accumulation Strategies in Transformational Programming" ACM Transaction on Programming Languages and Systems Vol.6 No.4 October 1984, 487–504.Google Scholar
- [BuD77]Burstall, R.M. and Darlington, J.: "A Transformation System for Developing Recursive Programs" J.A.C.M. Vol.24, 1 (1977) 44–67.Google Scholar
- [BuL80]Buneman, P. and Levy, L.: "The Towers of Hanoi problem" Information Processing Letters 10,(1980), 243–244.Google Scholar
- [Er83]Er, M.C.: "An Iterative Solution of the Generalized Towers of Hanoi Problem" BIT 23 (1983), 295–302.Google Scholar
- [ErG82]Ernst, G.W. and Goldstein, M.M.: "Mechanical Discovery of Classes of Problem-Solving Strategies" J.A.C.M. 29 (1) (1982), 1–23.Google Scholar
- [Hay77]Hayes, P.J.: "A Note on The Towers of Hanoi Problem" Computer Journal 20, (1977), 282–302.Google Scholar
- [Kot78]Kott, L.: "About Transformation System: A Theoretical Study" Proceed. 3ème Colloque International sur la Programmation. Dunod, Paris (1978), 232–247.Google Scholar
- [Pet84]Pettorossi, A.: "A Powerful Strategy for Deriving Efficient Programs by Transformation" ACM Symposium on LISP and Functional Programming. Austin,Texas USA (1984), 273–281.Google Scholar
- [Pet85]Pettorossi, A.: "Towers of Hanoi Problems: Deriving Iterative Solutions by Program Transformation" BIT Vol.25 (1985), 327–334Google Scholar
- [Wal83]Walsh, T.R.: "Iteration Strikes Back at the Cyclic Towers of Hanoi" Information Processing Letters 16 (1983), 91–93.Google Scholar