The intelligent discussion supporting system under the distributed environment
The purpose of this study is to propose a technical and psychological framework of intelligent computer supported collaborative work/learning (Intelligent CSCW/L) which we call “iDCLE (intelligent distributed collaborative learning environment)”. To realize this learning environment iDCLE, we constructed the real-time sharing communication system for collaborative work/learning on the computer network. In this paper, we describe the fundamental configuration of iDCLE, and discuss the mechanism of supporting discussion intelligently. The discussion support system in iDCLE can identify the state of discussion by tracing our model. The system can also diagnose the process of discussion for the purpose of making progress in the discussion using this model. If any advice is needed after diagnosing, the system gives the appropriate advice to the participants.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.Baker, 1994, A Model for Negotiation in Teaching-Learning Dialogues, Jl. of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 5(2), pp.199–254.Google Scholar
- 2.M.Baker, 1995, Negotiation in Collaborative Problem-Solving Dialogues, R. J. Beun, et al.(Eds.) Dialogue and Instruction, pp.39–55, Springer-Verlag Berlin.Google Scholar
- 3.A.E.Blandford, 1994, Teaching Through Collaborative Problem Solving, Jl. of Artificial Intelligence in Education, vol.5, No.1, pp.51–84.Google Scholar
- 4.J.Conklin and M.L.Begeman, 1988, gIBIS: A Hypertext Tool for Exploratory Policy Discussion, ACM Transaction on Office Information Systems, Vol.6, No.4, pp.303–331.Google Scholar
- 5.A.Inaba and T.Okamoto, 1995, Study of the Dialogue Model for Intelligent Support System of Group Learning, Technical Report of IEICE, AI 95-22, pp.1–8.Google Scholar
- 6.A.Inaba, Y.Hasaba and T.Okamoto, An Intelligent Supporting of Discussion for the Distributed Cooperative Learning Environment, The Transactions of IEICE, Vol.J79-A, No.2, pp.207–215, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.J.Lave and E.Wenger, 1991, Situated Learning, Cambridge Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- 8.T.Okamoto, 1994, Global communication literacy, JET/ Japan Academy of Cooperation Foundation, Proc. of Symposium, pp.20–26.Google Scholar
- 9.T.Okamoto, A.Inaba and Y.Hasaba, 1995, The Intelligent Learning Support System on the Distributed Cooperative Environment, Proc. of AI-ED'95, p.588.Google Scholar
- 10.G.Salomon (Ed.), 1993, Distributed cognitions, Cambridge Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- 11.T.Winograd, and F.Flores, 1986, Understanding Computers and Cognition, Addison-Wesley Publising Company, Inc.Google Scholar