New results on completeness and consistency of abstract data types
If an algebraic specification is designed in a structured way, a small specification is stepwise enriched by more complex operations and their defining equations. Based on normalization properties of term reductions we present sufficient “local” conditions for the completeness and consistency of enrichment steps, which can be efficiently verified in many cases where other attempts to prove the enrichment property “syntactically” have failed so far.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /Der 79a/.Dershowitz, N.: A Note on Simplification Orderings, Inform. Process. Letters 9, No. 5, 1979, 212–215Google Scholar
- /Der 79b/.—: Orderings for Term-Rewriting Systems, Proc. 20th IEEE Symp. on FOCS, 1979, 123–131Google Scholar
- /DM 79/.Dershowitz, N., Manna, Z.: Proving Termination With Multiset Orderings, Comm. ACM, Vol. 22, No. 8, 1979, 465–476Google Scholar
- /EKP 78/.Ehrig, H., Kreowski, H.-J., Padawitz, P.: Stepwise Specification and Implementation of Abstract Data Types, Proc. 5th ICALP, Udine, 1978, Springer Lect. Not. in Comp. Sci. 62, 205–226Google Scholar
- /EKP 80/.—: Completeness in Algebraic Specifications, to appear in Bull. EATCS, No. 11, 1980Google Scholar
- /Gut 75/.Guttag, J.V.: The Specification and Application to Programming of Abstract Data Types, Ph.D.Thesis, University of Toronto,1975Google Scholar
- /GTW 78/.Goguen, J.A., Thatcher, J.W., Wagner, E.G.: An Initial Algebra Approach to the Specification, Correctness and Implementation of Abstract Data Types, in: Current Trends in Programming Methodology, IV: Data Structuring (R.Yeh Ed.), Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1978, 80–144Google Scholar
- /Huet 77/.Huet, G.: Confluent Reductions: Abstract Properties and Applications to Term Rewriting Systems, Proc. 18th IEEE Symp. on FOCS, Providence, RI., 1977, 30–45Google Scholar
- /KB 70/.Knuth, D., Bendix, P.: Simple Word Problems in Universal Algebras, in: Computational Problems in Abstract Algebra (J. Leech Ed.), Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970, 263–297Google Scholar
- /LB 77/.Lankford, D.S., Ballantyne, A.M.: Decision Procedures for Simple Equational Theories with Permutative Axioms: Complete Sets of Permutative Reductions, Report ATP-3: Dept. of Math. and Comp. Sci., University of Texas at Austin, 1977Google Scholar
- /Nou 79/.Nourani, F.: Constructive Extension and Implementation of Abstract Data Types and Algorithms, Ph.D.Thesis, University of California at LA, 1979Google Scholar
- /Pad 79/.Padawitz, P.: Proving the Correctness of Implementations by Exclusive Use of Term Algebras, Forschungsbericht Nr. 79-8, TU Berlin, FB 20, 1979Google Scholar