On a subclass of pseudopolynomial problems
A subclass of the class of all pseudopolynomial problems is defined as a family of sets acceptable by some automaton operating with simultaneous time and space bounds. That the class is large enough can be seen in that it contains many (if not all) of the pseudopolynomial problems described in the literature. We study structure preserving reductions within this class and give intuitive reasons (borrowed from our knowledge about space bounded automata) that there exist at least four well known problems which are pairwise not equivalent under these reductions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ausiello, G., A. Marchetti-Spaccamela and M. Protasi, Toward a unified approach for the classification of NP-complete optimization problems, Proc. Frege-Conference 1979, Jena, GDRGoogle Scholar
- 2.Baker, B.S. and R.V. Book, Reversal-bounded multipushdown machines, J. Comp. Syst. Sci. 8 (1974), 315–332Google Scholar
- 3.Conway, R.W., W.L. Maxwell and L.W. Miller, Theory of Scheduling, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1967Google Scholar
- 4.Cook, S.A. Characterizations of Pushdown Machines in Terms of Time-Bounded Computers, J. Ass. Comp. Mach. 18 (1971), 4–18Google Scholar
- 5.Garey, M.R. and D.S. Johnson, “Strong” NP-Completeness Results: Motivation, Examples and Implications, J.Ass. Comp. Mach. 25 (1978), 499–508Google Scholar
- 6.Garey, M.R. and D.S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability, A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness, W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, 1979Google Scholar
- 7.Monien, B,. Connections between the LBA problem and the knapsack problem, Proc. Frege-Conference 1979, Jena, GDRGoogle Scholar
- 8.Monien, B., Scheduling problems and space bounded computations, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 9.Monien, B. and I.H. Sudborough, Bounding the bandwidth of NP-complete problems, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 10.Paz, A. and S. Moran, Non-deterministic polynomial optimization problems and their approximation, Lecture Notes Comp. Sci. 52, 370–379, Springer Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 1977Google Scholar
- 11.Sahni, S.K. Algorithms for Scheduling Independent Tasks, J.Ass. Comp. Mach. 23 (1976), 116–127Google Scholar
- 12.Savitch, W.J., Relationships between nondeterministic and deterministic tape complexities, J. Comp. Syst. Sci. 4(1970), 177–192Google Scholar