On achieving distributed termination
We consider a distributed system based on communication among disjoint processes, in which each process is capable of achieving a post condition of its local space in such a way that the conjunction of local post conditions implies a global post condition of the whole system. We then augment the system with extra control communication, in order to achieve distributed — termination, without adding new channels of communication. The algorithm is applied to a problem of sorted partition.
Key words and phrasesConcurrent programs distributed processes disjoint memories communication input-output distributed termination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Brinch Hansen, P.: The Architecture of Concurrent Programming; Prentice Hall, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2).Brinch Hansen, P.: Distributed Processes — A Concurrent Programming Concept, CACM, 21, 11, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3).De Bakker, J.W.: Semantics and Termination of Nondeterministic Recursive Programs. Proc. of the 4th Conf. on Automata, Languages and Programming, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4).Dijkstra, E.W.: A Class of Simple Communication Patterns, EWD-643, 1978.Google Scholar
- 5).Dijkstra, E.W.: A Correctness Proof for Communicating Processes — A Small Exercise. EWD-607, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6).Francez, N.: On the Question of Termination of Concurrent Programs, May 1978, submitted to IEEE-TSE.Google Scholar
- 7).Francez, N., Hoare, C.A.R., Lehmann, J.D., De Roever, W.P.: Semantics of Nondeterminism, Concurrency and Communication, 1978.Google Scholar
- 8).Hoare, C.A.R.: Communicating Sequential Processes. CACM, 21, 8, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9).Milne, G. and Milner, R.: Concurrent Processes and their Syntax. Dept. of Computer Science, Edinburgh, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10).Sintzoff, M.: On Language Design for Program Construction; Centre de Recherche en Informatique, January 1978.Google Scholar
- 11).Wirth, N.: Modula — A Programming Language for Modular Programming; Software-Practice and Experience, 7, 2, March 1977.Google Scholar