A characterization of concurrency-like relations
In the paper algebraic properties of symmetric and irreflexive relations (called sir-relations) are discussed. Such relations are of importance in the Petri nets theory (Best, Petri[11,12], Mazurkiewicz).
It was proved that for every sir-relation C≤ X×X there is a family of functions (called representations of C) of the form r:X ↣ 2 U , where U is a set, such that (a,b)εC ⇔ r(a) ⌢ r(b) = ø. The properties of that family and the relationship between the theory of covers and the theory of sir-relations are discussed.
The notion of K-density for sir-relations is introduced, and some of its properties are proved.
KeywordsPartial Order Minimal Cover Maximal Chain Concurrent System Concurrent Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Best E., A Theorem on the Characteristic of Non-Sequential Processes, Technical Report 116, Univ. of Newcastle upon Tyne, Comp. Labor., 1977.Google Scholar
- Genrich H.J., A position in panel discussion, MFCS'75 Symposium, Marianskie Laznie, 1975.Google Scholar
- Harrary F., Graph Theory, Addison-Wesllay, Mass., 1967.Google Scholar
- Janicki R., Synthesis of Concurrent Schemes, Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci., vol. 64, Springer-Verlag, 1978, 298–307.Google Scholar
- Knuth E., Petri Nets and Trace Languages, Proc. of the 1st European Conf. on Parallel and Distr. Processing, Toulouse, 1979.Google Scholar
- Marczewski E., Sur deux propriétés des classes d'ensembles, Fund. Math., 33 (1945), 303–307.Google Scholar
- Mazurkiewicz A., Concurrent Program Schemes and Their Interpretations, DAIMI PB-78, Aarhus Univ., Department of Comp. Sci., 1977.Google Scholar
- Pawlak Z., On the Notion of a Computer, Logic Meth. and Phil. Sci., 3 (1968), 255–267.Google Scholar
- Petri C.A., Concepts of Net Theory, MFCS'73 Proc., Math. Inst. of Slovak Acad. of Sci., 1973, 137–146.Google Scholar
- Petri C.A., Non-Sequential Processes, ISF Report 77-01, Gesellshaft für Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung, Bonn, 1977.Google Scholar
- Petri C.A., Concurrency as a Basis of Systems Thinking, ISF Report 78-06, Gesellshaft für Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung, Bonn, 1978.Google Scholar