VSAT satellite networks providing ATM service
We discuss the role of Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) satellite networks in the provision of access for remote users to the Integrated Broadband Communications Network. The need for optimisation of the channel capacity allocation scheme is discussed, using a preliminary performance analysis for a Dynamic Reservation TDMA system which takes advantage of the flexibility and the statistical multiplexing capabilities of ATM and supports various VBR and CBR services. Investigation on the effect of the satellite propagation delay shows that improvements in performance are possible if “next generation” satellite technology is used. Some bottlenecks, introduced by the satellite link, in the performance of protocols such as TCP/IP are highlighted. The limitations of the satellite link capacity and the earth station buffer size and their effect on the system's performance are also discussed.
KeywordsVSAT ATM Multiple Access Satellite Communications TDMA Network Performance Teletraffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BURR86]Burren, J.W., “High-speed Computer Networking by Satellite: A Review of the Results from the Project UNIVERSE.”, IERE Journal, 56(5), May 1986, pp. 187–191.Google Scholar
- [CHIT94]Chitre, D.M., et al., “ATM Operation via Satellite: Issues, Challenges and Resolutions”, Int. Jrnl. Sat. Comms., V12(3), May 1994, pp. 211–223.Google Scholar
- [COAK95]Coakley, F.P., Malinowski, P., “Fault-tolerant On-board Switches for ATM”, Proc. 10th ICDSC, Brighton, May 1995.Google Scholar
- [HADJ94]Hadjitheodosiou, M.H. et al., “Broadband Island Interconnection via Satellite-Performance Analysis for the CATALYST Project”, Int. Jrnl. Sat. Comms., V12(3), May 1994, pp. 223–238.Google Scholar
- [HARR91]Harris, R.A., Koudelka, O., 1991, “Wideband Interconnection of LANs by Satellite.”, Proc. 2nd ECSC, pp. 91–96.Google Scholar
- [JACO92]Jacobson, V. Braden, R., Borman, D., “TCP Extensions for High Performance”, RFC 1323, Network Working Group, May 1992.Google Scholar
- [ONVU94]Onvural, R., “Asynchronous Transfer Mode Networks-Performance Issues”, Artech House Ed., 1994.Google Scholar
- [POLE94]Polese, P., Mort, R., Combarel, L., “Satellites in UMTS and B-ISDN:Status of Activities and Perspectives”, IEE Electronics & Comms. Jrnl., V6 (6), December 94, pp.297–303.Google Scholar
- [RAYC87]Raychaudhuri, D., Joseph, K., “Ku-Band Satellite Data Networks using VSATs-Part1:Multi-access Protocols”, Int. Jrnl. Sat. Comms., 1987, pp. 195–212.Google Scholar
- [SCHO94]Schoute, F.C., Awater, G.A., Giesbers, B.M.P., “Aloha Performance Models”, Proc. GLOBECOM'94, San Fransisco, December 1994.Google Scholar
- [YANG92]Yang, O.W.W., Yao, X.X., Murthy, K.M.S., “Modeling and Performance Analysis of File Transfer in a Satellite WAN, IEEE J-SAC, V10(2), February 1992, pp. 428–436.Google Scholar
- [ZEIN94]Zein, T., Maral, G., Tondriaux, M., Seret, D., “A Dynamic Allocation Protocol for a Satellite Network Integrated with B-ISDN.”, Proc. 2nd ECSC, 22 October 1991, pp. 15–20.Google Scholar