On the potentials of forward error correction mechanisms applied to real-time services carried over B-ISDN
Variable bit rate real-time multimedia services like highly compressed video or audio tend to be very sensitive to transmission errors. This paper investigates cell and frame loss as well as delay and timing issues in an ATM-based B-ISDN environment that carries such services. The figures derived through simulation using artificial as well as real world sources motivate the introduction of forward error correction (FEC) mechanisms. We describe an approach that combines FEC mechanisms with extended loss recovery properties and cell interleaving and that is capable of dealing with variable bit rate services. If parameters and components are properly chosen the loss figures can be reduced significantly while still keeping the complexity of the FEC mechanism within acceptable bounds.
KeywordsATM B-ISDN real-time multimedia services forward error correction timing regeneration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bier93]Biersack, E.W., “Performance evaluation of forward error correction in an ATM environment”, IEEE JSAC, vol. 11, no. 4, May 1993.Google Scholar
- [Garr93]Garrett, M.W., “Contributions toward real-time services on packet switched networks”, PhD thesis, Columbia University, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Garc96]Garcia Adanez, X., Basso, A., Hubaux, J.-P., “Study of AAL5 and a New AAL Segmentation Mechanism for MPEG-2 Video over ATM”, Proc. 7th International Workshop on Packet Video, Brisbane, Australia, March 1996.Google Scholar
- [I.363dr]ITU-T SG13, “B-ISDN ATM adaptation layer (AAL) specification, types 1 and 2”, draft recommendation I.363, Geneva, Sept. 1994.Google Scholar
- [I.371fr]ITU-T SG13, “Traffic Control and Congestion Control in B-ISDN”, recommendation I.371, frozen version, Geneva, July 1995.Google Scholar
- [McAu90]McAuley, A.J., “Reliable broadband communications using a burst erasure correcting code”, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM '90, Philadelphia, PA, Sept. 1990, pp. 287–306.Google Scholar
- [Rose94]Rose, O., Frater, M.R., “Delivery of MPEG video services over ATM” University of Würzburg, Institute of Computer Science Research Report Series, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Stoc94]Stock, Th., Grünenfelder, R., “Frame loss vs. cell loss in ATM concentrators and multiplexing units”, EFOC&N'94, Heidelberg, 1994, pp 174–177.Google Scholar