Scalability enhancements for connection-oriented networks
We consider the issue of increasing the number of connections that connection oriented networks, such as ATM, can handle. We describe one step that aims at reducing connection awareness inside the network. To that end, connections between the same pair of access nodes are grouped together and made indistinguishable inside the network. The concept of dynamic virtual path trunks is introduced as a support mechanism, and it is shown how virtual path links can be setup and maintained without additional round-trip delays.
Keywordsconnection awareness multiplexed signaling bandwidth renegotiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Peters, “Advanced Peer-to-Peer Networking: Intermediate Session Routing vs. High Performance Routing,” IEEE Systems Journal, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.W. Stallings, ISDN, An Introduction. Macmillan Publishing Company, ISBN 0-02-415471-7, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Perlmann, Interconnections. Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-56332-0, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Topolcic, Experimental Internet Stream Protocol, Version 2, (ST-II). IETF, 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Zhang, S. Deering, D. Estrin, S. Shenker, and D. Zapalla, “RSVP: A New Resource ReSerVation Protocol,” IEEE Network, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.J.-Y. Le Boudec and T. Przygienda, “A Route Pre-computation Algorithm for Integrated Services Networks,” Technical Report 95/113, DI-EPFL, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland, February 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.O. Crochat, J.-Y. Le Boudec, and T. Przygienda, “Path Selection in ATM using Route Pre-Computation,” Technical Report 95/128, DI-EPFL, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Tennenhouse, “Layered Multiplexing Considered Harmful,” in Protocols for High-Speed Networks (H. Rudin and R. Williamson, eds.), pp. 143–148, IFIP, North-Holland, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.J.-Y. Le Boudec, E. Port, and L. Truong, “Flight of the FALCON,” IEEE Comm Mag, pp. 50–56, February 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.J.-Y. Le Boudec and T. Przygienda, “Routing Metric for Connections with Reserved Bandwidth,” EFOC-N, 1994.Google Scholar