Porting SHARPE on the Web: Design and implementation of a network computing platform using Java
Although on the one hand the Web has made a large amount of information easy to access for a great number of users, on the other it does not offer any simple mechanisms to facilitate the use of a calculation application on the Internet. Recently, however, Java has been developed, a new language defined by Sun whose features make it ideal for the development of network applications. In this paper we show how it is possible to use this technology to create a network computing platform for the Web sharing of applications which were not specifically devised for network use. The platform developed is also equipped with adequate security mechanisms which provide authentication services and, if required encryption. The approach proposed has been applied to porting the Sharpe tool (Symbolic Hierarchical Automated Reliability/Performance Evaluator) onto the Web.
KeywordsNetwork Computing Java Web Security Sharpe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Java Virtual Machine Specification. Technical report, Sun Microsystems, October 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Berners Lee et al. The World Wide Web. Communications of the ACM, 37(8), August 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Gosling. The Java Language Environment: a White Paper. Technical report, Sun Microsystems, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.M. A. Hamilton. Java and the shift to Net-centric Computing. IEEE Computer, 29(8):31–39, August 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Heimann, N. Mittal, and K. S. Trivedi. Availability and reliability modeling of computer systems. In M. Yovitss, editor, Advances in Computers, volume 31, Academic Press, Orlando, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Hughes. Actually Useful Internet Security Techniques. New Riders Publishing, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Sahner and K. S. Trivedi. Reliability modeling using SHARPE. IEEE Transaction on Reliability, 36(2):186–193, June 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.R. A. Sahner, K. S. Trivedi, and A. Puliafito. Performance and Reliability Analysis of Computer Systems. Kluwer Academic Publishers, November 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Stalling. Network and Internetwork Security Principles and Practice. Prentice Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Yourdon. Java, the Web, and Software Development. IEEE Computer, 29(8):25–30, August 1996.Google Scholar