Fortune — A documentation support system for Software Engineers
The key to further automating the development of computer-based systems is a software development environment that supports all the stages of the software development life cycle. With the introduction in recent years of Integrated Project Support Environments (IPSEs) and other Software Engineering Environments based on databases, it is clear that advances are being made in software development support. Over the next decade we can expect the use of IPSEs and other advanced environments to become common in the software industry.
However a large fraction of the information relevant to a project is documentation of various types; these include requirements specifications, design diagrams, data dictionaries, design component specifications and source code. This information has an extremely complex structure, with many relationships between components of the documents. Normally a variety of tools, such as text editors, text formatters, diagram editors and word processers are used to manipulate this information but, because of the very nature of these disparate tools, this restricts the degree of integration that can be offered in an IPSE.
This paper describes FORTUNE — a software engineer's documentation support tool that has been designed specifically to be incorporated into IPSEs and to interface with other software tools. FORTUNE is being developed by a collaboration as part of the Alvey Software Engineering programme.
Fields CoveredSoftware Engineering IPSE and Documentation
Fortune — Un Système de Documentation pour Ingénieurs Informaticiens
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Chen 76]P. Chen: "The Entity Relationship Model — Towards a Unified View of Data"; ACM Transaction on Database Systems, Vol 1 No 1Google Scholar
- [Hibbard 83]P. Hibbard: "User Manual for Mint — The Spice Document Preperation System"; Spice Document S153, Carnegie-Melton UniversityGoogle Scholar
- [Jones 86]C. Jones: "Programming Productivity"; McGraw HillGoogle Scholar
- [McGowan 86]S. McGowan: "Fortune — A Documentation Support Tool"; CAP Technical Conference Proceedings, CAPGoogle Scholar
- [PACT 86]PACT: "PCTE Added Common Tools, Technical Annex"; Bull, Eurosoft, GEC, ICL, Olivetti, S&M, Siemens and SysecaGoogle Scholar
- [PCTE 86]PCTE: "PCTE — A basis for a common portable tool environment; functional specification"; Bull, GEC, ICL, Nixdorf, Olivetti and SiemensGoogle Scholar
- [Quint 86]V. Quint and I. Vatten: "Grif: An Interactive System for Structured Document Manipulation"; Text Processing and Document Manipulation, Proceedings of the International Conference, University of Nottingham, Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- [Reid 80]B. Reid: "A high-level approach to computer document production"; Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACTGoogle Scholar
- [Shaw 80]A. Shaw: "A model for document preperation systems"; Technical Report 80-04-02, Department of Computer Science, University of Washington, SeattleGoogle Scholar